[Mb-civic] Listen to the Brass - David S. Broder - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Apr 18 05:16:12 PDT 2006

Listen to the Brass
<>
By David S. Broder
The Washington Post
Tuesday, April 18, 2006; A19

Several months ago, when Rep. John Murtha, the Marine Corps veteran and
longtime Democratic advocate for military preparedness, spoke out on the
Iraq war, I received an interesting phone call from the Pentagon. When
Murtha advocated a fundamental reassessment of American strategy in the
war, including an early redeployment of U.S. troops to neighboring
countries, I noted that he had spent many hours visiting wounded
veterans of that war at Walter Reed and Bethesda Naval hospitals. A
warmhearted, emotional man, Murtha was responding, I suggested, to what
he had experienced in those hospital wards.

The unsolicited caller from the Pentagon identified himself by name and
rank, then said, "This is a private call. I am not speaking officially.
But I read your column, and I think it is important for you to know that
Jack Murtha knows us very well and speaks for many of us."

I thanked him and said, "I get the message." Don't dismiss Murtha's
misgivings as just sympathy for the wounded. He has allies in the
uniformed military who cannot speak out themselves.

I've thought back to that conversation as a succession of retired
generals have come forward in the past few weeks to express their
disagreement and dismay at the conduct of the war and to call for the
resignation of its architect, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. Seeing
these senior officers take this public stand is unprecedented; even in
Vietnam, with all the misgivings among the fighting men, we saw no such
open defiance.

The president has reaffirmed his confidence in Rumsfeld, and the
secretary himself has been dismissive of the complaints, saying that if
the defense secretary were fired "every time two or three people
disagreed . . . it would be like a merry-go-round."

But the case the generals are making is as serious as it is passionate.
To take but one example, the essay in Time magazine by retired Marine
Lt. Gen. Greg Newbold, the former director of operations for the Joint
Chiefs of Staff, lists six separate areas in which he saw failure on the
part of the civilian leadership of government:

"The distortion of intelligence in the buildup to the war, McNamara-like
micromanagement that kept our forces from having enough resources to do
the job, the failure to retain and reconstitute the Iraqi military in
time to help quell civil disorder, the initial denial that an insurgency
was the heart of the opposition to occupation, alienation of allies who
could have helped in a more robust way to rebuild Iraq, and the
continuing failure of the other agencies of our government to commit
assets to the same degree as the Defense Department."

Adding these together, he concluded with the words that have come to
constitute the definitive rebuke to the administration's leaders: "My
sincere view is that the commitment of our forces to this fight was done
with a casualness and swagger that are the special province of those who
have never had to execute these missions -- or bury the results."

Gen. Newbold makes it plain that he is not advocating immediate
withdrawal from Iraq unless the Iraqi political factions fail to form a
government and fall into civil war. But he insists new leadership is
needed in the Pentagon.

His words echo those of another retired Marine general, Anthony Zinni,
whose criticisms were quoted in an earlier column of mine. And there are
other notable leaders in civilian life, outside the White House, who
have been making the same points publicly for months and even years.
Sen. John McCain, a Republican, and Sen. Joe Biden, a Democrat, have
been in and out of Iraq more than a dozen times since the start of the
war. Both of them supported the war and oppose withdrawal. But both have
said repeatedly since their first visits that they have never found an
officer of any rank who has not said, privately and urgently, "We need
more troops to complete this mission."

Rumsfeld and President Bush insist that the manpower and strategy have
been exactly what the commanders in the field thought best, but now
general after general is speaking out to challenge that claim. The
situation cries out for serious congressional oversight and examination;
hearings are needed as soon as Congress returns. These charges have to
be answered convincingly -- or Rumsfeld has to go.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/17/AR2006041701260.html