[Mb-civic] Hamas being forced to collapse | Tel Aviv bombing | NYT Jerusalem Whitewash | Boston Jews protest outside AIPAC | Yad Vashem Diary

ei News news at electronicintifada.net
Mon Apr 17 20:05:06 PDT 2006

your recipient.)

__
Opinion/Editorial
HAMAS BEING FORCED TO COLLAPSE
Sam Bahour, The Electronic Intifada, 17 April 2006

The greater fear is that if the U.S. and Israel
are successful in collapsing the Hamas government
and Hamas in turn decides to abandoned democratic
means to express itself, we will be back where we
started from, suicide bombings killing innocents
and setting the agenda from outside any known
political framework. Does this serve U.S. and
Israeli interests? We are all wondering! Sam
Bahour, a Palestinian-American businessman living
in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian city of
El-Bireh, the sister city of Ramallah, comments.

http://electronicIntifada.net/v2/article4634.shtml

Opinion/Editorial
AS ALWAYS, THE DILEMMA...
Adam Keller, The Electronic Intifada, 17 April 2006

One o'clock. In the noon news magazine on the
radio, the commentator speaks in a rather bored
way of the ongoing army raid into Nablus, words
nearly identical to the reports of yesterday and
of last week: "The Palestinians claim that the boy
shot in central Nablus was unarmed... The soldiers
assert that they had shot only at armed militants,
as per orders..." Suddenly: "We interrupt this
report. A large explosion just occurred at the Old
Central Bus Station in Tel-Aviv. Dozens of
casualties. Stand by for further details."

http://electronicIntifada.net/v2/article4635.shtml

Coverage Trends
THE NEW YORK TIMES WHITEWASHES THE ISRAELI
TAKEOVER OF EAST JERUSALEM
Patrick O'Connor, The Electronic Intifada, 17 April 2006

Despite a practiced guise of objectivity, the US
corporate media's reporting on Israel/Palestine is
dominated by the Israeli narrative. An April 16,
2006 feature article by Steven Erlanger, The New
York Times' Jerusalem Bureau Chief, "Jerusalem,
Now" in the Times' Sunday Travel section
exemplifies how seemingly professional
journalistic standards can mask insidious biases
and misinform readers. Erlanger, guided around
Jerusalem by Israelis, omits Israeli violence,
stereotypes Palestinians, whitewashes Israeli
settlements and covers up Israeli efforts to take
over East Jerusalem.

http://electronicIntifada.net/v2/article4639.shtml

Activism News
YOUNG BOSTON JEWS HOLD PASSOVER SEDER
OUTSIDE AIPAC, JCRC OFFICES
Hannah Mermelstein, The Electronic Intifada, 17 April 2006

On Tuesday, April 11, at 5:00 pm, 20 young Jewish
people gathered for a seder (traditional
celebration of Passover) outside 126 High Street
in Boston, the building that houses the American
Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) and
Boston's Jewish Community Relations Council
(JCRC). The group expressed their support for
Palestinian human rights and opposition to AIPAC's
and JCRC's unquestioning support for Israel and
its governmental policies. With a banner that read
"Passover means liberation for all. Justice for
Palestine," they conveyed the message to the
organizations inside and to the media that AIPAC
and JCRC do not speak for all Jews.
http://electronicIntifada.net/v2/article4638.shtml

Diaries
WASPR DELEGATION DIARY 10: TWO TRAUMATIZED PEOPLES:
YAD VASHEM HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL
Bill Dienst, Live from Palestine, 17 April 2006

Friday, March 11, 2005, Jerusalem -- Peter and I
head out and descend the stairs into Damascus
Gate. We climb our way through the Labyrinthine
Old City and wind up at Jaffa Gate at the Green
Line, the border between Jordanian and Israeli
controlled Jerusalem prior to 1967. We hail a taxi
and head for Yad Vashem, the Holocaust Museum in
West Jerusalem. We pass the Knesset, Israel's
parliament, and then Hebrew University. To
understand the sentiments of "Never Again!" and
gain insights on the modern Jewish state's
obsession with security, it is essential to visit
this place.

http://electronicIntifada.net/v2/article4637.shtml

--
ABOUT US: The Electronic Intifada (EI) is a
not-for-profit, independent publication committed to

EI, found at http://electronicIntifada.net provides a
needed supplement to mainstream commercial media
representations of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
More information about our work can be found at
http://electronicIntifada.net/v2/aboutEI.shtml

To find out about other EI/eIraq lists available, see:
http://electronicintifada.net/cgi-bin/kebab/mail.cgi

SUPPORT OUR PROJECT: Our work needs funding. We accept
donations via credit card and cheque. U.S. donations are
tax deductible. More information can be found at:
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article2162.shtml

The following information is a reminder of your current mailing
list subscription:

You are subscribed to the following list:
	ei News

Using the following email:
	michael at intrafi.com

You may automatically unsubscribe from this list at any time by
visiting the following URL:
<http://electronicintifada.net/cgi-bin/kebab/mail.cgi/u/einews/michael/intrafi.com/12777104/>

If the above URL is inoperable, make sure that you have copied the
entire address. Some mail readers will wrap a long URL and thus break
this automatic unsubscribe mechanism.

You may also change your subscription by visiting this list's main screen:
<http://electronicintifada.net/cgi-bin/kebab/mail.cgi?f=list&l=einews>

If you're still having trouble, please contact the list owner at:
	<mailto:news at electronicintifada.net>

The following physical address is associated with this mailing list:
MECCS/EI Project
1507 E. 53rd Street, #500
Chicago, IL 60615, USA
http://electronicIntifada.net