[Mb-civic] Families pay price of faulty policies - Jeff Jacoby - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Apr 12 03:51:32 PDT 2006

  Families pay price of faulty policies

By Jeff Jacoby  |  April 12, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

WHEN SUMATHI ATHLURI met the man she was destined to marry, it was love
at first sight. She sensed at once that Jeevan Kumar, a young physician
working on a World Health Organization project to eradicate polio in
India, was someone special. And the more she learned about his lifestyle
and values, she was telling me the other day by phone from Salem, where
she now lives, ''the more I felt he was the man I was looking for."

Jeevan was equally taken with Sumathi, a software engineer from
Hyderabad who had moved to the United States on an H-1B work visa in
1999 and had become a legal permanent resident -- the holder of a green
card -- in February 2002. The couple was married in India in August
2002, and for the first three months of their marriage they were
virtually inseparable.

But green-card holders are not permitted to remain abroad indefinitely,
and when the time came for Sumathi to return to the United States, she
was a wreck. ''It was so painful to leave him," she says. ''I was crying
in the plane all the way to the US."

Hoping to be quickly reunited with her husband, Sumathi filed a Form
I-130, an application for an immigrant visa that would allow Jeevan to
enter the United States. That was when she ran headlong into what has
been called the most anti-family, anti-marriage, anti-immigrant aspect
of American law: the prolonged and pointless separation of legal
permanent residents from their spouses and children.

Sumathi's I-130 application for Jeevan was submitted more than three
years ago; unless the law changes, it is likely to take at least two
more years before his immigrant visa is finally approved. In the
meantime, he is barred from entering the United States to visit his
wife, even briefly. Because Sumathi has a green card -- because she is
here lawfully and will soon be eligible for US citizenship -- her
husband cannot get even a tourist visa to come see her.

Crazy? Yes, and it gets worse: If Sumathi had first gotten married and
then applied for her green card, her husband would have been able to
move here right away. Same thing if she had been here on a student visa,
or had simply made no change in her status as the holder of a work visa.
But becoming a legal permanent resident meant that anyone she
subsequently married (and any child she gave birth to) outside the
United States would have to languish on a waiting list for five or more
years before being allowed to enter the country.

No policy aim is advanced by separating legal immigrants from their
spouses and children -- especially when the only immigrants affected are
those who have proclaimed their commitment to this country by becoming
permanent residents. Congress didn't set out deliberately to put Sumathi
and Jeevan and others like them through emotional torment. But by
holding down the annual number of immigrant visas available to the
spouses and kids of green-card holders, it unwittingly created a giant
backlog.

Happily, the problem can be solved: Congress has only to remove the
annual quota on visas for immediate relatives of legal permanent
residents, thereby clearing up the backlog and eliminating the long
wait. Legislation introduced by Senator Chuck Hagel of Nebraska would
make that change. An alternative solution, offered by Representative
Robert Andrews of New Jersey, would allow the spouse and minor children
of green-card holders to enter the United States on a special ''V visa,"
and to live here while waiting for their immigration petitions to be
approved.

Unlike the illegal immigrants who have been raising such a ruckus across
the country in recent days, green-card holders like Sumathi broke no
laws to get here. Most of them are highly skilled professionals who
eventually become US citizens, enriching their adopted country in the
time-honored immigrant manner.

''I came here legally," says Sumathi, who develops speech recognition
software for use in healthcare settings. ''I'm making a contribution. I
pay my taxes. I've never been a burden to the government. My husband is
a doctor whose work on polio is saving lives. Why must we be separated
like this?" She observes tartly that the United States lectures other
countries about the importance of marriage and family. Yet ''US
immigration law is destroying my family life. I live alone, eat alone,
sleep alone, cry alone, and suffer alone. . . . The only thing that
keeps me going is my husband's photograph sitting next to me."

It is no virtue to split husbands from wives, or parents from young
children. What is being done to immigrants like Sumathi Athluri is both
unjust and unwise. Above all, it is unworthy of a nation built by
immigrants.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/04/12/families_pay_price_of_faulty_policies/