[Mb-civic] 'We Decided Not to Be Invisible Anymore' - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Apr 11 03:49:13 PDT 2006

'We Decided Not to Be Invisible Anymore'
Pro-Immigration Rallies Are Held Across Country

By Dan Balz and Darryl Fears
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, April 11, 2006; A01

Hundreds of thousands of pro-immigration demonstrators mobilized on the
Mall and in scores of cities across the country yesterday in a powerful
display of grass-roots muscle-flexing that organizers said could mark a
coming-of-age for Latino political power in the United States.

Calling for legal protection for illegal immigrants, the demonstrators
-- the overwhelming majority of them Hispanic -- streamed past the White
House in Washington, jammed streets near City Hall in Lower Manhattan,
marched in Atlanta, held a small candlelight vigil in Los Angeles and,
in Mississippi, sang the civil rights anthem "We Shall Overcome" in Spanish.

Demonstrators massed in cities large and small. In tiny Lake Worth,
Fla., several thousand legal and illegal immigrants, marching to the
beat of drums, demanded fair treatment, with one sign reading "Let Me
Love Your Country." In Phoenix, an estimated 100,000 rallied at the
Arizona Capitol, with families pushing strollers wedged among
construction workers, high school students and old men wearing cowboy hats.

The largely peaceful demonstrations drew only a smattering of
anti-immigration protesters.

The rallies came against the backdrop of fierce political struggle in
Washington. The House has passed legislation to tighten border security
and criminalize illegal immigrants and those who assist them. The Senate
is stalemated over a compromise that would provide a path to legal
status for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United
States. President Bush has backed the Senate approach but has declined
to pressure Republicans to act on it.

A new Washington Post-ABC News poll showed that three-quarters of
Americans think the government is not doing enough to prevent illegal
immigration. But three in five said they favor providing illegal
immigrants who have lived here for years a way to gain legal status and
eventual citizenship. The idea received majority support from Democrats,
independents and Republicans. One in five Americans embraced the House
bill, which includes no guest-worker program and would make felons out
of those in this country illegally.

The extraordinary outpouring of demonstrators was organized by a loose
coalition of church, community and labor organizations and knit together
by the burgeoning power of Spanish-language radio and television
stations nationwide. The rallies followed Sunday's demonstration in
Dallas, which brought up to half a million people into the streets, and
an earlier event in Los Angeles that drew more than 500,000. The size of
the gatherings has caught the attention of Washington lawmakers.

Unlike some national marches in the past, the pro-immigration rallies
have had a bottom-up, organic quality that often surprised organizers
and opponents alike. But not everything was spontaneous. In contrast to
earlier rallies, which featured Mexican flags and produced a backlash,
yesterday's events were awash in American flags after organizers and
radio disc jockeys urged demonstrators not to give their opponents
something to criticize.

"We had American flags because this is our home and we also wanted to
bring part of our heritage," said Salvador Carranza, an organizer of a
rally in Madison, Wis. "We believe we are part of this country, and also
part of our heritage, so we don't think having other flags is
disrespectful."

The rallies signaled that the passions of the immigrant community, which
wants Congress to approve comprehensive immigration reform that includes
a path to citizenship, are as intense as they are for those whose
opposition to illegal immigrants helped put the issue on the national
agenda.

Adelina Nicholls, president of the Coordinating Council of Community
Leaders in Atlanta and one of the organizers of the march there, said
the House bill, regarded as punitive by many legal and illegal
immigrants, "was the ignition that is giving fuel to all community and
grass-roots groups." She added: "We decided not to be invisible anymore."

Monzerrat Macias, 15, stood with her family under a swaying palm in Lake
Worth, listening to the speakers. She said that her mother came to the
United States from Mexico in 1981 and that most of the children in the
Macias family have been born here. The family turned out "to help our
people to get the legalization they deserve," she said. "We deserve to
be here, we work hard. We are immigrants, but we are not terrorists."

The fast-growing Hispanic population now accounts for about 14 percent
of the U.S. population, but only about 8 percent of the voters in the
last presidential election. For years, experts have predicted that
Latinos were on the cusp of significant political power, and with this
week's rallies, Latino advocates said they have turned a corner. "I
think it's a watershed moment," said Harry Pachon, president of the
Tomas Rivera Policy Institute in Los Angeles.

Whether the rallies spur greater participation at the ballot box by the
many Latino citizens who are not registered or who vote only irregularly
will not be known until later, but there seemed to be little dispute
yesterday that the demonstrations were the most significant public
expression yet on political issues by the Hispanic community, which is
now the largest minority group in the United States.

Hector Flores, president of the League of United Latin American
Citizens, said that part of the movement is unfolding. "The message is
'Today we march, tomorrow we vote,' " he said. Organizations registered
thousands to vote at Sunday's march in Dallas.

Flores said he could answer the people who ask, "Why now?" The House
bill introduced by Judiciary Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner Jr.
(R-Wis.) "is touching a nerve, man," he said. "It's raw." Flores said
the bill threatens to tear apart the family unit, the fabric that holds
Latinos together.

"How do you tell the children of undocumented workers who are fighting
in Iraq that we're going to deport your parents and your grandparents?"
Flores said. "I'm a fifth-generation Mexican American -- there's no
distinction between them and me."

Still, along march routes yesterday there were some voices of those
opposed to illegal immigration. In Phoenix, state Rep. John Allen (R)
held a sign that said "Governor, I'll hold them off, you get the
National Guard."

"The question is, when do we stop this activity of illegal immigration?"
he said into a battery of cameras. "Right now, it's like Groundhog Day.
You wake up every day and there's more of them. It will be this way
until we have a closed border."

Many of the organizers said Spanish-language radio, television and
newspapers were instrumental not just in helping attract big crowds but
for influencing the look and tone of yesterday's rallies.

In Dallas, El Hispanic News covered plans for the march closely. In Los
Angeles, Eddie "Piolin" Sotelo, the city's top-rated disc jockey, and
also a Mexican immigrant who entered the United States in the trunk of a
car in 1986, joined with rival disc jockey Renan "El Cucuy" Almendarez
Coello and others to pump up the volume for the rally. They told people
where to go, what to wear and what to carry.

Alvaro M. Huerta, who helped organize the Los Angeles rally, said disc
jockeys helped spread the word to carry American flags and to wear white
shirts as a symbol of peaceful protest.

"We have to give the community credit," he said. "They saw the TV, heard
the radio. We expect most people to come with the American flag. We're
also here to show our love for the country."

But labor, church and community organizations also helped put together
yesterday's nationwide demonstrations. "It was not an overnight thing,"
said Maria Elena Durazo of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor
and an organizer of rallies there yesterday and last month.

The Rev. Michael Kennedy of La Placita Catholic Church, which was ground
zero for yesterday's candlelight vigil in Los Angeles, drew a parallel
between the recent marches and the civil rights movement in the South in
the 1950s and 1960s.

"It's the same thing when Rosa Parks got arrested," he said. "People
have been offended, their dignity has been offended. I've been around
here since 1984 and I've never seen anything like it."

Kennedy's church prepared a PowerPoint presentation on the House bill
that church officials showed to parishioners and shared with unions and
immigrant-rights organizations. They also organized fasting and prayer
vigils, and with the help of hundreds of volunteers put out the word
about the rally and yesterday's vigil.

Among labor unions, the Service Employees International Union played a
central role in helping to organize rallies in a number of cities,
including on the Mall. "I think part of the message that is being sent
to members of Congress and both political parties is that people are
organized and they're paying attention," said Avril Smith, an SEIU
spokeswoman.

Amelia Frank-Vitale, a march organizer with the labor union Unite Here,
said local groups worked for months to organize a march in Phoenix two
weeks ago that drew 20,000 people. National organizations got involved
after the success of that march, she said.

"I do believe the last series of events really changed the discourse in
Washington from being solely about enforcement to issues of humanity,"
she said. "Today, most legislators are back in their home towns. These
marches are to speak to them. We're not going away."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/10/AR2006041001759.html