[Mb-civic] Politicians' duty to deliver in N. Ireland - Dermot Ahern - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Apr 6 03:57:08 PDT 2006

  Politicians' duty to deliver in N. Ireland

By Dermot Ahern  |  April 6, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

IT HAS BEEN almost eight years since the Good Friday Agreement was
endorsed, but its promise has yet to be fully realized. For more than
three years, the devolved government in Northern Ireland has been on
hold, the democratic institutions established under the agreement have
been suspended, and people in Northern Ireland have had politics without
influence. Today, the Irish and British governments are announcing
proposals to put an end to this shadow politics.

Americans take it for granted that they can elect representatives who
govern them, who set the laws and regulations that enable them to work
and raise their families. If those politicians get it wrong, they can be
removed from office and replaced.

Northern Ireland had a glimpse of this several years ago when the
Northern Ireland assembly and executive first met: Locally elected
politicians from both communities began to make the hard but necessary
choices about education, health, industry, agriculture, and other vital
issues.

Most important, they did so in partnership. Power-sharing between
representatives of both communities is crucial to Northern Ireland's
future. We cannot heal the wounds of the past with a snap of our fingers
and they will not go away on their own. Power-sharing is the bandage on
the wound -- bringing the sides together, allowing deeper recovery and
normalcy to come naturally in time. And for power-sharing to work, it
must be real, and genuinely and inclusively shared.

People deserve to have that normalcy and that control over their lives
restored to them. That is why the two governments will reestablish the
Northern Ireland assembly on May 15.

The assembly will be expected to form a power-sharing executive within
six weeks. If it does so, power will be devolved to Northern Ireland
from Westminster and politicians can get on with the business of government.

Last July, the Irish Republican Army committed itself to peaceful means.
In September, the Independent International Commission on
Decommissioning reported that the IRA's weapons had been put beyond use.

Since then, there have been no sanctioned shootings or assaults, no
''punishment" attacks, no evidence of training or recruitment and no
robberies on the part of the IRA.

More needs to be done; loyalist paramilitaries must disarm and normal
policing must be extended to all areas and receive support from all
communities. The killers of Denis Donaldson, a former official for Sinn
Fein, the IRA's political wing, need to be tracked down and brought to
justice. The murder earlier this week of Donaldson, who was recently
exposed as a British spy, was a savage act and a shocking reminder of
Northern Ireland's tragic and tortured past. We cannot let those who
trade in murder dictate the pace of the political process. The need for
positive politics has never been clearer. As politicians, we have a duty
to deliver. In recognition of the transformation that has occurred, the
British government has been scaling down its military presence in
Northern Ireland. Troop numbers are at their lowest level in 30 years.
This week, I witnessed the demolition of the last British army watch
towers in Armagh.

People may say that trust needs to be rebuilt, but that it takes time.
We are prepared to give it some limited additional time, but trust only
comes from working together, from being dependent on one another to get
results. Cooperation builds trust, separation does not.

Progress in the peace process will be maintained. With or without
devolved government this year, the Irish and British governments will do
all they can to ensure that the Good Friday Agreement is implemented to
the maximum possible extent for the benefit of all communities.

I hope that the parties will rise to the challenge when they sit down
together in the assembly in May with a clear mandate and timetable to
prepare for shared government.

Sometimes in politics, one needs to step back and see things in
perspective. In Northern Ireland, that view is of genuinely impressive
progress. It took real leadership to get us here; it will take
leadership to complete the transformation. It is time for politicians in
Northern Ireland to get on with the job they were elected to do.

Dermot Ahern is Ireland's minister for foreign affairs.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/04/06/politicians_duty_to_deliver_in_n_ireland/