[Mb-civic] The Immigration Impasse: A Way Out - Robert J. Samuelson - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Apr 5 03:48:57 PDT 2006

The Immigration Impasse: A Way Out
<>
By Robert J. Samuelson
The Washington Post
Wednesday, April 5, 2006; A23

Our immigration debate is at an impasse. The House has passed a
mean-spirited and delusional bill that focuses heavily on border
security and would criminalize some humanitarian acts that aid
immigrants. As for the 10 million to 12 million illegal immigrants
already here, the supposition is that they should somehow go home. Just
how is unclear. Meanwhile, the Senate seems ready to authorize up to
400,000 "guest workers" annually. Guest workers, also endorsed by
President Bush, would reduce illegal immigration by giving many of the
same people -- mainly poor and unskilled Mexicans -- work permits. The
Senate approach also is delusional and undesirable. It would increase
American poverty under the guise of curing worker "shortages."

We can do better, but chances are we won't. In 2004 immigrants accounted
for nearly 12 percent of the population, the highest share since the
1920s. The fact that there are so many immigrants makes discussion
harder because passions on both sides are so easily aroused. Already,
hundreds of thousands of Hispanics have marched in Los Angeles, Chicago,
Washington and elsewhere. But broader public opinion is also
increasingly agitated. A new survey by the Pew Hispanic Center finds
that 52 percent of Americans think immigrants "are a burden because they
take jobs [and] housing." That's up sharply from 38 percent in 2000.

In this climate, the immigration debate has become an exercise in
political public relations, often disconnected from practical realities.
Republicans and Democrats are trying in different ways to appease
middle-class anxieties without alienating present and future Hispanic
voters. The one saving grace is that we may still have time to fashion a
more sensible consensus. By the Pew poll, most Americans aren't yet so
fearful of immigration that they aren't open to reason and evidence.
Only 21 percent see immigration as a "very big problem" in their
localities, although responses are higher in areas of greater
immigration (55 percent in Phoenix, 36 percent in Las Vegas).

Let me outline what I think such a consensus might be. It has three
elements and borrows from both House and Senate approaches.

· Strengthen border and employer enforcement. Unless it's stopped, the
present illegal immigration of an estimated 500,000 people annually will
overwhelm any system. The main lure is jobs. That's why it's essential
to adopt a mandatory requirement for employers to verify new workers --
electronic checking of documents. Companies that hire illegal immigrants
should be penalized heavily. But it's also essential to dry up the
supply. In an earlier column, I supported the construction of fences or
walls, 20 to 30 feet high, along the Mexican border. They would, I
think, significantly reduce the flow, though some would still come by
overstaying student and tourist visas.

· Grant amnesty to existing illegal immigrants . President Bush and many
Republicans oppose this, but it's essential. We can't run an immigration
system that condones mass illegality. Most illegal immigrants deserve
legal standing -- and a path to citizenship. Although they "broke the
law," we (meaning American society) encouraged them by inadequately
policing the border and employers. Most won't voluntarily return home,
where typical wages are 80 percent lower. Trying to force them back
would create a huge backlash. We'd have stories of parents being torn
from their American-born children. Companies would complain that
government was destroying their firms by removing longtime, diligent
workers. Finally, the failure to legalize today's illegal workers would
weaken companies' incentives to comply with checks of new workers. If
firms were already breaking the law to stay in business, why not take
the added risk?

· Forget guest workers . Maybe a few job categories (sheepherders) with
existing guest worker programs are justified. But businesses' complaints
of widespread labor "shortages" mainly put a respectable face on their
thirst for cheap labor. Most guest workers won't go home, even if
required (see above). They'll become illegal immigrants or citizens.
Either way, adding poor people is bad social policy. It would bloat the
demand for government social services. And it would hurt today's poor --
including other immigrants and many African Americans -- by keeping
wages down. Jobs attracting lots of immigrants have low wage increases.
 From 2002 to 2004, median hourly wages rose only 2 percent for
construction laborers and 3.6 percent for dishwashers.

On paper, this package has something for everyone. It lifts anxiety for
today's illegal immigrants and acknowledges their dignity. It lets
companies keep today's illegal workers. It toughens border and employer
policing. But it would also disappoint everyone. For business groups,
immigration advocates and Bush, there would be no new guest workers. The
president and House Republicans would have to swallow amnesty, though
maybe they could change the label and debate the details. One Senate
proposal envisions an 11-year transition period and a requirement to
learn English.

I don't claim that this approach would succeed. Preventing illegal
immigration may prove impossible. If so, we'll need to rethink
immigration policy fundamentally. But I do believe this approach has
better chances of success than most of the congressional proposals.
Unless we legalize today's illegal immigrants and reject large-scale
guest worker programs, we will indefinitely have two tiers of immigrants
-- legal and illegal -- with the prospect that the stigma of illegality
will taint the legal. By success, I mean that new immigrants gradually
think of themselves as Americans and that most slowly disperse all along
the economic spectrum. And immigration ceases to be a major issue,
because it is no longer a source of large social and economic conflicts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/04/AR2006040401302.html?nav=hcmodule