[Mb-civic] To Become an American - Fareed Zakaria - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Apr 4 04:04:10 PDT 2006

To Become an American
<>
By Fareed Zakaria
The Washington Post
Tuesday, April 4, 2006; A23

Seven years ago, when I was visiting Germany, I met with an official who
explained to me that the country had a foolproof solution to its
economic woes. Watching the U.S. economy soar during the 1990s, the
Germans had decided that they, too, needed to go the high-technology
route. But how? In the late '90s, the answer seemed obvious: Indians.
After all, Indian entrepreneurs accounted for one of every three Silicon
Valley start-ups. So the German government decided that it would lure
Indians to Germany just as America does: by offering green cards.
Officials created something called the German Green Card and announced
that they would issue 20,000 in the first year. Naturally, they expected
that tens of thousands more Indians would soon be begging to come, and
perhaps the quotas would have to be increased. But the program was a
flop. A year later barely half of the 20,000 cards had been issued.
After a few extensions, the program was abolished.

I told the German official at the time that I was sure the initiative
would fail. It's not that I had any particular expertise in immigration
policy, but I understood something about green cards, because I had one
(the American version) myself.

The German Green Card was misnamed, I argued, because it never, under
any circumstances, translated into German citizenship. The U.S. green
card, by contrast, is an almost automatic path to becoming American
(after five years and a clean record).

The official dismissed my objection, saying that there was no way
Germany was going to offer these people citizenship. "We need young tech
workers," he said. "That's what this program is all about." So Germany
was asking bright young professionals to leave their country, culture
and families; move thousands of miles away; learn a new language; and
work in a strange land -- but without any prospect of ever being part of
their new home. Germany was sending a signal, one that was accurately
received in India and other countries, and also by Germany's own
immigrant community.

Many Americans have become enamored of the European approach to
immigration -- perhaps without realizing it. Guest workers, penalties,
sanctions and deportation are all a part of Europe's mode of dealing
with immigrants. The results of this approach have been on display
recently in France, where rioting migrant youths again burned cars last
week. Across Europe one sees disaffected, alienated immigrants, ripe for
radicalism. The immigrant communities deserve their fair share of blame
for this, but there's a cycle at work. European societies exclude the
immigrants, who become alienated and reject their societies.

One puzzle about post-Sept. 11 America is that it has not had a
subsequent terror attack -- not even a small backpack bomb in a movie
theater -- while there have been dozens in Europe. My own explanation is
that American immigrant communities, even Arab and Muslim ones, are not
very radicalized. (Even if such an attack does take place, the fact that
4 1/2 years have gone by without one provides some proof of this
contention.) Compared with every other country in the world, America
does immigration superbly. Do we really want to junk that for the French
approach?

The United States has a real problem with flows of illegal immigrants,
largely from Mexico (70 percent of illegal immigrants are from that one
country). But let us understand the forces at work here. "The income gap
between the United States and Mexico is the largest between any two
contiguous countries in the world," writes Stanford historian David
Kennedy. That huge disparity is producing massive demand in the United
States and massive supply from Mexico and Central America. Whenever
governments try to come between these two forces -- think of drugs --
simply increasing enforcement does not work. Tighter border control is
an excellent idea, but to work, it will have to be coupled with some
recognition of the laws of supply and demand -- that is, it will have to
include expansion of the legal immigrant pool.

Beyond the purely economic issue, however, there is the much deeper one
that defines America -- to itself, to its immigrants and to the world.
How do we want to treat those who are already in this country, working
and living with us? How do we want to treat those who come in on visas
or guest permits? These people must have some hope, some reasonable path
to becoming Americans. Otherwise we are sending a signal that there are
groups of people who are somehow unfit to be Americans, that these
newcomers are not really welcome and that what we want are workers, not
potential citizens. And we will end up with immigrants who have
similarly cold feelings about America.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/03/AR2006040301621.html