[Mb-civic] Town's-Eye View of Immigration Debate - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Apr 3 03:48:00 PDT 2006

Town's-Eye View of Immigration Debate
In Ga., Influx Fills a Gap in Workforce

By Peter Slevin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, April 3, 2006; A01

GAINESVILLE, Ga. -- Harold Hogsed wonders how his grandchildren learn
anything in school, with all the time their teachers spend instructing
Hispanic immigrants on basic English. A drawling Georgia native, he
cannot understand what the Spanish-accented adults are saying. He sees
them as a drain on his tax dollars and he wishes they would all go home.

"How many people can this country hold?" Hogsed asked. "I don't have the
solution to it, but something's got to be done."

Hogsed is not alone in struggling to wrap his mind around the tide of
Latin American workers who have remade this north-Georgia town. City
schools are now 55 percent Hispanic. More children arrive each day with
their undocumented parents, often directly from Mexico. The Yellow Pages
include 41 pages in Spanish. St. Michael Catholic church, which once
drew 25 people to a monthly Spanish Mass, now has 6,000 Hispanic
families on its parish registry.

Their numbers show just how rooted the predominantly Mexican immigrants
have become in Gainesville and throughout the South. They have put
pressure on public services while becoming essential players in the
local economy. Amid anxiety on all sides, neighbors, advocates and the
new residents are assessing their presence and their future in a debate
that resonates nationally.

Proponents of more generous accommodations for illegal immigrants staged
a one-day economic boycott on March 24 that shuttered businesses and
boosted morale. Business and farming leaders declared that immigrants
are keeping them solvent. At a Mass on Thursday night dedicated to the
immigrants, the Rev. Fabio Sotelo urged 300 parishioners to persevere,
pray and write the governor.

Gov. Sonny Perdue (R) is considering a strong anti-immigration bill
delivered last week by the Georgia legislature. Congress is considering
significant federal legislation, with Gainesville's congressman, Nathan
Deal (R), among the firmest supporters of tightened borders and
toughened measures. Lawyers for U.S.-born carpet workers will argue to
the Supreme Court this month that a Georgia manufacturer conspired to
drive down wages by importing illegal laborers.

Gainesville advertises itself as "the poultry capital of the world" and
it is the chicken-processing plants that are driving much of the city's
startling growth. Since 1990, the official population has nearly doubled
to 32,000 and the number of Hispanics has quadrupled to compose nearly
half the registered population -- and far more when illegal immigrants
are considered.

When the shift changes at the factories on Industrial Boulevard,
hundreds of workers in hairnets stream through the doors of Koch Foods
and Pilgrim's Pride. Their origins are reflected in the Spanish banter,
the salsa tunes blasting from car radios, and the young ice cream vendor
who calls his cart La Paleteria Lulu.

"Reality speaks and it says that, absent Hispanic workers, we could not
process chicken," said Tom Hensley, chief financial officer for
Gainesville's largest chicken plant, Fieldale Farms. "There aren't
enough native American people who want to work in a chicken plant at any
wage. We'd be put out of business."

A dozen years ago, Fieldale employed fewer than 100 Hispanics. Today,
Hispanics total 3,000 in a 4,700-person workforce that transforms live
birds by the thousand into boneless chicken flesh. To win jobs that
start at about $10 an hour, applicants must present at least two
identity documents from a government list of 18.

"If the documents appear to be legitimate, we accept them," Hensley said.

Two workers said they got jobs at Fieldale with fake documents, a
practice considered an open secret. One longtime laborer, who spoke on
the condition of anonymity, said he is counting on Congress -- "in a
free country, a democracy" -- to design a compromise that legalizes
needed and reliable undocumented residents.

Praised for excellence by President Bush in his 2004 Republican National
Convention speech, Gainesville Elementary greets one new student a day
in a school already 70 percent Hispanic. Nine in 10 students qualify for
subsidized meals. Educators draft letters in two languages and visit
homes to urge parents to support the students.

"We're not going to ask, 'Are you legal?' That's not our concern," said
Principal Priscilla Collins. "We let them know that no one is going to
come into our schools and do raids. That's not how America works."

Raids are much on people's minds. The telephones at St. Michael have
been ringing in the past two weeks as anxious residents tracked rumors
prompted by legislative activity in Atlanta and Washington. Is it true,
they asked, that immigration agents grabbed 300 people at Wal-Mart? Was
there a roundup of 500 along Jesse Jewel Parkway? Will agents raid the
schools on Friday?

No, no and no, Lucia Martin answered.

Martin was sneaked into the country from Mexico at age 3. She remembers
being tucked under the seat of a truck and told to keep quiet. Her
family moved to Chicago. Twenty years ago, she arrived in Gainesville
when her husband found work on the chicken line. She works at the church.

"There's a supply. There's a demand. There's an opportunity and you take
it. It's human instinct," Martin said. When white residents complain
that the new immigrants should wait their turn, she answers, "Did your
ancestors get a visa?"

Martin's worry is that new rules will make it easier for government
authorities to target immigrants unfairly -- by arresting people on a
pretext to investigate their legal status. Angel Rojas, a Catholic
Social Services worker, raised the same issue in advising an overflow
crowd of educators and community workers to study the potential impact
of proposed legislation.

"The main thing we need to understand is this affects everybody," Rojas
said. He noted that one proposal would make it a crime to help an
undocumented resident remain in the United States. A number of Mexicans,
he said, have told him they would rather return home with their worldly
goods than risk losing all during deportation.

That would be cheerful news to legislators who have said they hope to
increase pressure and create a deterrent. It also jibes with the
thinking of Joe Merck, a working-class Gainesville native and advocate
for the homeless who describes the city as "overrun."

"I don't blame 'em coming up here, but half of 'em are illegal. We're
taking care of 'em. They're having all these babies one right after
another," Merck, 71, said. "You can go buy your credentials. It's a
known fact, but nobody does anything about it. We need to send 'em back
home."

Waiting for a ride, kitchen worker William Morton griped that he cannot
obtain some restaurant jobs because he speaks no Spanish.

"This country's not right," said Morton, 38. "The economy's went down
for us and gone up for them, and we're supporting Mexico."

Merck and Morton can be counted in the potential audience for the
immigration proposals that have suddenly dominated the state and
national debate. Deal, a seven-term congressman who received an A-plus
career rating from Americans for Better Immigration, a group that favors
stricter controls, said the United States is "a nation of law."

"To make sure we have the confidence of the American public behind us,
we have to show we're going to enforce our law first and foremost," Deal
said. The nation's estimated 11 million illegal immigrants "are going to
have to go home."

Trinidad Avila, 44, is among those who consider that impossible.

Avila, who darted across the Mexican border as a teenager and later
obtained residency, expects a compromise permitting workers and their
families to remain, but wonders when. His two teenage children hold
hands at the dinner table and pray for friends who are here illegally.

"People don't know what they're going to do," Avila said. "They're just
wishing for the government to do something for them."

Julia Perilla, who studies grass-roots Latino issues at Georgia State
University, describes a "love-hate relationship" between the new
immigrants and many Georgians, especially business people.

"On the one hand, they want us very badly. They are very, very dependent
on Latino labor. On the other hand, there's an incredible amount of
xenophobia that's on the rise in Georgia," Perilla said. "It's extremes.
Nobody is in the middle."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/02/AR2006040200896.html