[Mb-civic] Afghanistan: The Long Road Ahead - Richard Holbrooke - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Apr 2 05:30:10 PDT 2006

Afghanistan: The Long Road Ahead
<>
By Richard Holbrooke
The Washington Post
Sunday, April 2, 2006; B07

KABUL, Afghanistan -- In a region of Pakistan almost unknown to most
Americans, a sort of failed ministate offering sanctuary to our greatest
enemies has arisen. It is a smaller version of what Afghanistan was
before Sept. 11, 2001, and it poses a direct threat to vital American
national security interests.

Waziristan and North-West Frontier Province, where Osama bin Laden and
the Taliban leader Mullah Omar are hiding, have become a major sanctuary
in which the Taliban and al-Qaeda train, recruit, rest and prepare for
the next attacks on U.S., NATO and Afghan forces inside Afghanistan. The
most recent, on March 29, resulted in the deaths of one American and one
Canadian soldier. More attacks must be expected.

For the United States, the dilemma is huge. There is no chance that the
training of the Afghan army and police will produce a force able to
defend itself as long as the Taliban has sanctuary in Pakistan. Other
than "hot pursuit," which is already permitted, the United States cannot
invade Waziristan; such an operation would have little chance of success
and would create an enormous crisis in U.S. relations with Pakistan.
Leave Afghanistan, and the Taliban will return, along with bin Laden and
al-Qaeda. The only viable choice is to stay, in order to deny most of
the country to the enemy. That means an indefinite U.S. and NATO
military presence in Afghanistan. No U.S.official will say it publicly,
but the conclusion is clear: We will be in Afghanistan for a very long
time, much longer than we will remain in Iraq.

The Afghans have a simple solution to the sanctuary problem: Washington
should tell Pakistan's president, Pervez Musharraf, that he must clean
out the border areas -- or else. The Pakistanis have an equally simple
response: They are doing the best they can in a historically lawless
tribal area and, in cooperation with the Americans, have already
arrested or killed hundreds of terrorists. The Afghans, who deeply
distrust Musharraf, do not believe this; while grateful to the United
States for freeing them from the hated Taliban, they think Washington is
too easy on Pakistan, in part to make up for Pakistan's anger at the
recent nuclear deal with India.

The biggest program of Washington and the European Union is the drug
eradication effort. Almost 90 percent of the world's heroin comes from
Afghanistan. Official U.S. and U.N. reports claim that last year's
programs reduced poppy production by 4 percent -- at a cost of close to
$1 billion. That means the United States spent more than the entire
national budget of Afghanistan to accomplish essentially nothing! Yet
the failed drug policy is continuing without significant change.

If the drug program is the biggest failure, American-inspired efforts to
give the women of Afghanistan a chance for a better life have the
greatest potential. First lady Laura Bush deserves credit for making
this a signature issue. Insisting that more than 25 percent of the seats
in the National Assembly be reserved for women was risky but inspired. I
met with 10 female legislators; they were more animated and more excited
about their country than any of the men. If they form a women's caucus,
a process that has started with encouragement from the National
Democratic Institute for International Affairs, they will become a
powerful force for progress.

But let no one confuse progress for women at the higher levels (there is
even one female provincial governor) with a significant change for the
average girl or woman. Each time Afghanistan tried to advance the status
of women, the men reacted with a strong backlash. They will do so again.
Progress is distant and virtually meaningless to rural women. That
striking symbol of Afghanistan, the head-to-toe covering of women that
is known as the burqa, remains widely used everywhere. One vivacious
legislator on the provincial council in Herat told me that while she did
not like the burqa, she dared not let her "beautiful" 15-year-old
daughter out without it. "The burqa," she said, "is my weapon." And
self-immolation, forced on women by their families if they violate
strict codes of conduct, is actually on the rise.

Herat, the only major city in the west, highlights the complexities of
Afghanistan. Less than 100 miles from the Iranian border, it is enjoying
an economic boom and almost no Taliban threat. But the economy is fueled
in large part by Iran, which is visibly gaining economic and political
influence in the region. So here is the ultimate irony of a situation
filled with irony: Our "strategic ally" (in President Bush's phrase) in
Pakistan is giving sanctuary to the Taliban and al-Qaeda in the east,
while an "axis of evil" country is playing a stabilizing role in the
west. In fact, of course, Iran is pursuing the same long-term strategic
goal there as it does everywhere: to create a Shiite region stretching
from Lebanon as far east as possible. Iran's growing strength in Herat
can only heighten Tehran's sense that events are going its way these days.

With so much at stake, it is surprising that the administration asked
for a pittance (about $40 million) for Afghan reconstruction in its
recent supplemental, after the State Department and the U.S. Embassy
requested about 10 times as much. Still worse, Congress compounded the
lowered funding request by cutting the appropriation to $4 million.

Let us hope that these cuts were simply an aberration caused by
Hurricane Katrina and bureaucratic confusion. Afghanistan will be
difficult, and we must do a much better job on the ground. There is
always a risk that our presence will, over time, create an Iraq-like
anti-American xenophobia (in a country with a famously xenophobic
history). But Afghanistan is not Iraq. Denying the country to our
enemies is not a long-term strategy, but it is essential in the current
phase of history, especially as Iraq stumbles toward an increasingly
bleak future.

Richard Holbrooke, a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations,
writes a monthly column for The Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/31/AR2006033101705.html