[Mb-civic] Movie update: Wal-Mart's ads are made to be mocked -- so we did.

Robert Greenwald info at bravenewfilms.org
Wed Sep 28 09:37:18 PDT 2005

Dear activists, colleagues, and friends:

After spending almost the entire summer in the editing room working with four incredible editors, we've finally finished the film. We're getting ready to master the DVD now, and it's chock full of extras: three bonus sections, two behind the scenes features, a shorter 20 minute version of the film, an organizing video, and a slew of fun commercials mocking Wal-Mart's expensive ads.

We just started taking pre-orders for the DVD, you can get yours for $12.95. I'd like to see Wal-Mart beat that price!

http://www.walmartmovie.com/buy.php?track=rgemail3

One of the major challenges we have is balancing out Wal-Mart's endless promoting of its "good works" with $1.4 billion-a-year in advertising, much of it on television. We can't compete with that kind of budget, so we rely on you to spread the word to your friends, colleagues, and email lists about the real company Wal-Mart spends billions to hide. But you need something clever to show people, right?

So we put together a series of parody commercials mocking Wal-Mart's spots. They spend nearly $4 million every day.. we spent a hundred bucks. But with your help, we can have a big impact. Here are the first two ads:

1. The Gospel According to Sam Walton: Ever since their friends started working for Wal-Mart, Bob and Wendy haven't seen them much.  Features James Cromwell and Frances Fisher.

http://tinyurl.com/asqex

2. Betty's Diet Plan: Betty's job at Wal-Mart has done wonders for her physique.

http://tinyurl.com/detmx

We'll be rolling out more ads and clips from the film on WM*TV in the next few weeks as we head into premiere week on November 13th. If you have short videos, commercials or video blogs about Wal-Mart that you think would be good for WM*TV, please send them our way, and we'll take a look. You can suggest a video here:

http://www.walmartmovie.com/wmtv/suggest.php?track=rgemail3

Best,
Robert Greenwald

P.S. If you want to surprise your entire neighborhood with early Christmas presents this November, pre-order a box of 30 DVDs. It's only $240, which is like buying 18.5 and getting 11.5 for free! Re-selling these is also a great way for family-owned retail stores to make a point about Wal-Mart and make a little money too.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/buy.php?track=rgemail3/*Your email ID. <diaEmailID='40757854' thread=6504/>--*/