[Mb-civic] Scientists Photograph Giant Squid in Wild - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Sep 28 03:58:40 PDT 2005

Scientists Photograph Giant Squid in Wild

By HIROKO TABUCHI
The Associated Press
Wednesday, September 28, 2005; 1:48 AM

TOKYO -- The giant squid can be found in books and in myths, but for the
first time, a team of Japanese scientists has captured on film one of
the most mysterious creatures of the deep-sea in its natural habitat.

The team led by Tsunemi Kubodera, from the National Science Museum in
Tokyo, tracked the 26-foot long Architeuthis as it attacked prey nearly
3,000 feet deep off the coast of Japan's Bonin islands.

"We believe this is the first time a grown giant squid has been captured
on camera in its natural habitat," said Kyoichi Mori, a marine
researcher who co-authored a piece in Wednesday's issue of the
Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences.

The camera was operated by remote control during research at the end of
October 2004, Mori told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Mori said the giant squid, purplish red like its smaller brethren,
attacked its quarry aggressively, calling into question the image of the
animal as lethargic and slow moving.

"Contrary to belief that the giant squid is relatively inactive, the
squid we captured on film actively used its enormous tentacles to go
after prey," Mori said.

"It went after some bait that we had on the end of the camera and became
stuck, and left behind a tentacle" about six yards long, Mori said.

Kubodera, also reached by the AP, said researchers ran DNA tests on the
tentacle and found it matched those of other giant squids found around
Japan.

"But other sightings were of smaller, or very injured squids washed
toward the shore _ or of parts of a giant squid," Kubodera said. "This
is the first time a full-grown, healthy squid has been sighted in its
natural environment in deep water."

Kubodera said the giant squid's tentacle would not grow back, but the
squid's life was not in danger.

Jim Barry, a marine biologist at Monterey Bay Aquarium Research
Institute in California, has searched for giant squid on his own
expeditions without luck.

"It's the holy grail of deep sea animals," he said. "It's one that we
have never seen alive, and now someone has video of one."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/27/AR2005092701818.html?nav=hcmodule