[Mb-civic] Blackwater Down

EAN at sbcglobal.net EAN at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 26 14:57:58 PDT 2005

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051010/scahill

Blackwater Down

by JEREMY SCAHILL

posted September 21, 2005 (October 10, 2005 issue)

The men from Blackwater USA arrived in New Orleans
right after Katrina hit. The company known for its
private security work guarding senior US diplomats in
Iraq beat the federal government and most aid
organizations to the scene in another devastated
Gulf. About 150 heavily armed Blackwater troops
dressed in full battle gear spread out into the chaos
of New Orleans. Officially, the company boasted of
its forces "join[ing] the hurricane relief effort."
But its men on the ground told a different story.

Some patrolled the streets in SUVs with tinted
windows and the Blackwater logo splashed on the back;
others sped around the French Quarter in an unmarked
car with no license plates. They congregated on the
corner of St. James and Bourbon in front of a bar
called 711, where Blackwater was establishing a
makeshift headquarters. From the balcony above the
bar, several Blackwater guys cleared out what had
apparently been someone's apartment. They threw
mattresses, clothes, shoes and other household items
from the balcony to the street below. They draped an
American flag from the balcony's railing. More than a
dozen troops from the 82nd Airborne Division stood in
formation on the street watching the action.

Armed men shuffled in and out of the building as a
handful told stories of their past experiences in
Iraq. "I worked the security detail of both Bremer
and Negroponte," said one of the Blackwater guys,
referring to the former head of the US occupation, L.
Paul Bremer, and former US Ambassador to Iraq John
Negroponte. Another complained, while talking on his
cell phone, that he was getting only $350 a day plus
his per diem. "When they told me New Orleans, I
said, 'What country is that in?'" he said. He wore
his company ID around his neck in a case with the
phrase Operation Iraqi Freedom printed on it.

In an hourlong conversation I had with four
Blackwater men, they characterized their work in New
Orleans as "securing neighborhoods" and "confronting
criminals." They all carried automatic assault
weapons and had guns strapped to their legs. Their
flak jackets were covered with pouches for extra
ammunition.

When asked what authority they were operating under,
one guy said, "We're on contract with the Department
of Homeland Security."Then, pointing to one of his
comrades, he said, "He was even deputized by the
governor of the state of Louisiana. We can make
arrests and use lethal force if we deem it
necessary." The man then held up the gold Louisiana
law enforcement badge he wore around his neck.
Blackwater spokesperson Anne Duke also said the
company has a letter from Louisiana officials
authorizing its forces to carry loaded weapons.

"This vigilantism demonstrates the utter breakdown of
the government," says Michael Ratner, president of
the Center for Constitutional Rights. "These private
security forces have behaved brutally, with impunity,
in Iraq. To have them now on the streets of New
Orleans is frightening and possibly illegal."

Blackwater is not alone. As business leaders and
government officials talk openly of changing the
demographics of what was one of the most culturally
vibrant of America's cities, mercenaries from
companies like DynCorp, Intercon, American Security
Group, Blackhawk, Wackenhut and an Israeli company
called Instinctive Shooting International (ISI) are
fanning out to guard private businesses and homes, as
well as government projects and institutions. Within
two weeks of the hurricane, the number of private
security companies registered in Louisiana jumped
from 185 to 235. Some, like Blackwater, are under
federal contract. Others have been hired by the
wealthy elite, like F. Patrick Quinn III, who brought
in private security to guard his $3 million private
estate and his luxury hotels, which are under
consideration for a lucrative federal contract to
house FEMA workers.

A possibly deadly incident involving Quinn's hired
guns underscores the dangers of private forces
policing American streets. On his second night in New
Orleans, Quinn's security chief, Michael Montgomery,
who said he worked for an Alabama company called
Bodyguard and Tactical Security (BATS), was with a
heavily armed security detail en route to pick up one
of Quinn's associates and escort him through the
chaotic city. Montgomery told me they came under fire
from "black gangbangers" on an overpass near the poor
Ninth Ward neighborhood. "At the time, I was on the
phone with my business partner," he recalls. "I
dropped the phone and returned fire."

Montgomery says he and his men were armed with AR-15s
and Glocks and that they unleashed a barrage of
bullets in the general direction of the alleged
shooters on the overpass. "After that, all I heard
was moaning and screaming, and the shooting stopped.
That was it. Enough said."

Then, Montgomery says, "the Army showed up, yelling
at us and thinking we were the enemy. We explained to
them that we were security. I told them what had
happened and they didn't even care. They just left."
Five minutes later, Montgomery says, Louisiana state
troopers arrived on the scene, inquired about the
incident and then asked him for directions on "how
they could get out of the city." Montgomery says that
no one ever asked him for any details of the incident
and no report was ever made. "One thing about
security," Montgomery says, "is that we all
coordinate with each other--one family."That co-
ordination doesn't include the offices of the
Secretaries of State in Louisiana and Alabama, which
have no record of a BATS company.

A few miles away from the French Quarter, another
wealthy New Orleans businessman, James Reiss, who
serves in Mayor Ray Nagin's administration as
chairman of the city's Regional Transit Authority,
brought in some heavy guns to guard the elite gated
community of Audubon Place: Israeli mercenaries
dressed in black and armed with M-16s. Two Israelis
patrolling the gates outside Audubon told me they had
served as professional soldiers in the Israeli
military, and one boasted of having participated in
the invasion of Lebanon. "We have been fighting the
Palestinians all day, every day, our whole lives,"
one of them tells me. "Here in New Orleans, we are
not guarding from terrorists." Then, tapping on his
machine gun, he says, "Most Americans, when they see
these things, that's enough to scare them."

The men work for ISI, which describes its employees
as "veterans of the Israeli special task forces from
the following Israeli government bodies: Israel
Defense Force (IDF), Israel National Police Counter
Terrorism units, Instructors of Israel National
Police Counter Terrorism units, General Security
Service (GSS or 'Shin Beit'), Other restricted
intelligence agencies." The company was formed in
1993. Its website profile says: "Our up-to-date
services meet the challenging needs for Homeland
Security preparedness and overseas combat procedures
and readiness. ISI is currently an approved vendor by
the US Government to supply Homeland Security
services."

Unlike ISI or BATS, Blackwater is operating under a
federal contract to provide 164 armed guards for FEMA
reconstruction projects in Louisiana. That contract
was announced just days after Homeland Security
Department spokesperson Russ Knocke told the
Washington Post he knew of no federal plans to hire
Blackwater or other private security firms. "We
believe we've got the right mix of personnel in law
enforcement for the federal government to meet the
demands of public safety," he said. Before the
contract was announced, the Blackwater men told me,
they were already on contract with DHS and that they
were sleeping in camps organized by the federal
agency.

One might ask, given the enormous presence in New
Orleans of National Guard, US Army, US Border Patrol,
local police from around the country and practically
every other government agency with badges, why
private security companies are needed, particularly
to guard federal projects. "It strikes me...that that
may not be the best use of money,"said Illinois
Senator Barack Obama.

Blackwater's success in procuring federal contracts
could well be explained by major-league contributions
and family connections to the GOP. According to
election records, Blackwater's CEO and co- founder,
billionaire Erik Prince, has given tens of thousands
to Republicans, including more than $80,000 to the
Republican National Committee the month before Bush's
victory in 2000. This past June, he gave $2,100 to
Senator Rick Santorum's re-election campaign. He has
also given to House majority leader Tom DeLay and a
slew of other Republican candidates, including
Bush/Cheney in 2004. As a young man, Prince interned
with President George H.W. Bush, though he complained
at the time that he "saw a lot of things I didn't
agree with-- homosexual groups being invited in, the
budget agreement, the Clean Air Act, those kind of
bills. I think the Administration has been
indifferent to a lot of conservative concerns."

Prince, a staunch right-wing Christian, comes from a
powerful Michigan Republican family, and his father,
Edgar, was a close friend of former Republican
presidential candidate and antichoice leader Gary
Bauer. In 1988 the elder Prince helped Bauer start
the Family Research Council. Erik Prince's sister,
Betsy, once chaired the Michigan Republican Party and
is married to Dick DeVos, whose father, billionaire
Richard DeVos, is co-founder of the major Republican
benefactor Amway. Dick DeVos is also a big-time
contributor to the Republican Party and will likely
be the GOP candidate for Michigan governor in 2006.
Another Blackwater founder, president Gary Jackson,
is also a major contributor to Republican campaigns.

After the killing of four Blackwater mercenaries in
Falluja in March 2004, Erik Prince hired the
Alexander Strategy Group, a PR firm with close ties
to GOPers like DeLay. By mid-November the company was
reporting 600 percent growth. In February 2005 the
company hired Ambassador Cofer Black, former
coordinator for counterterrorism at the State
Department and former director of the CIA's
Counterterrorism Center, as vice chairman. Just as
the hurricane was hitting, Blackwater's parent
company, the Prince Group, named Joseph Schmitz, who
had just resigned as the Pentagon's Inspector
General, as the group's chief operating officer and
general counsel.

While juicing up the firm's political connections,
Prince has been advocating greater use of private
security in international operations, arguing at a
symposium at the National Defense Industrial
Association earlier this year that firms like his are
more efficient than the military. In May Blackwater's
Jackson testified before Congress in an effort to
gain lucrative Homeland Security contracts to train
2,000 new Border Patrol agents, saying Blackwater
understands "the value to the government of one-stop
shopping." With President Bush using the Katrina
disaster to try to repeal Posse Comitatus (the ban on
using US troops in domestic law enforcement) and
Blackwater and other security firms clearly
initiating a push to install their paramilitaries on
US soil, the war is coming home in yet another
ominous way. As one Blackwater mercenary said, "This
is a trend. You're going to see a lot more guys like
us in these situations."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyone who has the power to make you believe
absurdities has the power to make you commit
injustices.

Voltaire, 1767

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network
email list, option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be

"The probablility that we may fall in the struggle
ought not to deter us from the
support of a cause we believe to be just; it shall
not deter me."
                                                 ----
Abraham Lincoln