[Mb-civic] Fiscal Policy: Why 'Stupid' Fits - E. J. Dionne - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 03:54:03 PDT 2005

Fiscal Policy: Why 'Stupid' Fits

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
Friday, September 23, 2005; Page A23

Hurricane Rita heads inexorably westward, threatening to add to the
human and financial costs of Hurricane Katrina. And when it comes to
taxes and spending, Washington acts as if nothing is happening.

True, a group of very conservative Republicans issued a list of program
cuts on Wednesday under the imposing name "Operation Offset." The cuts
that the Republican Study Committee proposed have won their sponsors
praise for making "tough choices." Of course the sponsors won't actually
have to live with these cuts, because Republican leaders dismissed most
of the reductions, especially in congressional pet projects and the
Medicare prescription drug benefit.

And it's hard to give the fiscal conservatives too much credit, since
they would cut $80 billion from Medicare and $50 billion from Medicaid
over five years and suggest reductions in school lunches, rent subsidies
for the poor and foreign aid, among other things. The idea seems to be
that to help Katrina's poor and suffering victims, other poor and
suffering people will have to sacrifice.

Nonetheless, permit me to offer a little cheap grace on these
conservatives. At least the Operation Offset crowd has produced this
list of cuts and forced its own leaders to disown them. The exchange
showed how fundamentally stupid our budget policies have been over the
past five years -- and, yes, I'll defend that strong word.

Here's a fact getting far too little attention: The cost this year alone
of the Bush tax cuts enacted in 2001 and 2003 comes to $225 billion. In
other words, the revenue lost because of tax cuts going through this
year without any congressional action would more than pay the costs of
Katrina recovery.

Why describe our government's fiscal policies as "stupid," rather than,
say, "ill-advised" or "misguided"? The softer words of conventional
opinion writing imply disagreement but suggest an honest coherence in
the other side's view. Hey, we all disagree on stuff, right?

But our current budget policies are built not on honest coherence but on
incoherence or, even worse, a dishonest coherence. The president and
members of Congress always insist that they are fiscal conservatives who
believe in balanced budgets. Yet their actions bear no relationship to
their words, and labels such as "conservative" have no connection to
their policies. Our federal purse strings are in the hands of fiscal radic

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/22/AR2005092202255.html