[Mb-civic] Kerry's roads not taken - Thomas Oliphant - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Sep 22 04:33:47 PDT 2005

Kerry's roads not taken

By Thomas Oliphant  |  September 22, 2005

WASHINGTON
SUPPOSE WE had a president, with barely seven months in office, pushing
Congress to confront the energy crisis and stop the insane importing of
oil from the Middle East.

That was the road not taken before Katrina, remember?

Suppose we had a president who had challenged the lobbyist-run Congress
long before Katrina produced gargantuan costs that cannot be paid
honestly: His veto would block the extension of those juicy tax cuts for
wealthy investors that expire in a few years in order to force a
reestablishment of the best Social Security reform of all -- fiscal sanity.

That was another road not taken, remember?

And imagine a restoration of Bill Clinton's simple proposition that
recovery from disasters, natural or terrorist, is too important to be
left to incompetent political cronies, and is led by a guy who is
delightfully ignorant of patronage politics.

Still another road not taken.

As John Kerry had the temerity to say this week in Rhode Island: ''Today
more than ever, when the path taken last year and four years earlier
takes us into a wilderness of missed opportunities, we need to keep
defining the critical choices over and over, offering a direction not
taken but still open in the future."

Or, as he also said, ''Katrina reminds us that too often the political
contests of our time have been described like football games with color
commentary: One team of consultants against another, red states against
blue states, Democratic money against Republican money; a contest of
height versus hair -- sometimes. But the truth is democracy is not a
game; we are losing precious time each day in a different America than
the one we can inhabit if we make different choices."

I am aware how chic it is during the year following a presidential
election to jump down the throat of the poor slob who lost, trumpeting a
hindsight that wasn't clear until long past midnight on Election Day.
Deconstructing Kerry's screed the other day would also be easy in that
honored context -- except for one little point.

A great many Americans have been first shocked and then angered at the
mess Bush has made of his reelection this year, even before a botched
response to a tragic event made them furious. Kerry spoke for them this
week, calling Bush out after a grotesque campaign that sold the absurd
proposition that only the president could keep the nation safe and
secure and that Kerry couldn't.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/09/22/kerrys_roads_not_taken/