[Mb-civic] Bill Clinton, Beyond the White House - Tina Brown - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Sep 22 04:15:49 PDT 2005

Bill Clinton, Beyond the White House

By Tina Brown
Thursday, September 22, 2005; Page C01

The big surprise of Bill Clinton's Global Initiative conference at the
Sheraton Hotel in New York last week was how strangely calming it was.
You would expect to emerge begging for mercy from a three-day talkathon
on the world's most intractable problems emceed by history's most
garrulous president -- especially if you were a survivor of one of his
book tour gigs.

To be sure, Clinton, the big intellectual showoff, had never been less
than brilliant on his feet, but he never knew when to stop. And all that
promiscuous lateral thinking ended up sucking the air out of the room.
We got so tired of his lack of discipline that by 2000 we thought we
were ready for a presidency that operated by assertion. Five years later
we see what that's brought.

Maybe it's the effect of his brush with death. He's pared himself down
to the essentials, symbolized by the slimmed physique and the paternal
reading glasses. His style was always inclusive even when he was on the
attack. But now you feel he's shed the psychic baggage of the
impeachment years and with it the toxic rock and roll of his constantly
roiling reputation.

The new, honed Clinton on the rostrum made sure that any earnest
hand-wringing grappled with the raw brutality of irreconcilables. He
even saw to it that the panels he moderated actually ran on time.

Every session began with a stroll to the podium to announce a big-bucks
pledge for some imaginative initiative ($1.25 billion by the
conference's close).

"Now here's something else in my hot little hand," the former prez would
say, dangling his glasses, with his best "doggone" smile. "My old friend
Carlos Slim Helu here has just said he's willing to develop a cell phone
network for Gaza and link it to Jordan's network! Why, thanks, Carlos.
Come up here and be recognized." A big hand for Carlos, who turns out to
be the richest man in Latin America.

This wasn't just the usual FOBs from Park Avenue and Hollywood (though
there were plenty of those cruising around). With so many world policy
chiefs present -- Tony Blair, King Abdullah II of Jordan, Condi Rice,
President Thabo Mbeki of South Africa, even Sinn Fein's Gerry Adams, for
heaven's sake -- the conference was a tour d'horizon of Clinton's life,
and head, since the White House. (So that's what he's been doing on all
those far-flung speaking gigs -- scarfing down public policy from the
global minibar.) No one has figured out before how to leverage a
post-presidency like this. Jimmy Carter's version has been about the
power of example. Clinton's is about the power of power. He's been
everywhere, met everyone (my favorite Clintonian aside: "As someone who
went to Nigeria to plead for the life of a woman condemned under sharia
law, I thank you for doing this."). Now he's putting that Rolodex to
work for something bigger than the next campaign.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/21/AR2005092102036.html