[Mb-civic] Maureen Dowd - Message: I Can't

Mike Blaxill mblaxill at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 10:58:48 PDT 2005

Message: I Can't
    By Maureen Dowd
    The New York Times

    Wednesday 21 September 2005

    The president won't be happy until he dons a
yellow slicker and actually takes the place of
Anderson Cooper, violently blown about by Rita as
he talks into a camera lens lashed with water,
hanging onto a mailbox as he's hit by a flying
pig in a squall, sucked up by a waterspout in the
eye of the storm over the Dry Tortugas.

    Then maybe he'll go back to the White House
and do his job instead of running down to the
Gulf Coast for silly disaster-ops every other
day.

    There's nothing more pathetic than watching
someone who's out of touch feign being in touch.
On his fifth sodden pilgrimage of penitence to
the devastation he took so long to comprehend, W.
desperately tried to show concern. He said he had
spent some "quality time" at a Chevron plant in
Pascagoula and nattered about trash removal,
infrastructure assessment teams and the "can-do
spirit."

    "We look forward to hearing your vision so we
can more better do our job," he said at a
briefing in Gulfport, Miss., urging local
officials to "think bold," while they still need
to think mold.

    Mr. Bush should stop posing in shirtsleeves
and get back to the Oval Office. He has more
hacks and cronies he's trying to put into
important jobs, and he needs to ride herd on
that.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/092105M.shtml