[Mb-civic] Nazi Hunter Simon Wiesenthal Dies at 96 - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Sep 20 04:04:54 PDT 2005

Nazi Hunter Simon Wiesenthal Dies at 96

By Adam Bernstein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 20, 2005; 3:55 AM

Simon Wiesenthal, 96, the controversial Nazi hunter who pursued hundreds
of war criminals after World War II and was central to preserving the
memory of the Holocaust for more than half a century, died today in
Vienna, Austria, his base of operations.

Dubbed the "deputy for the dead" and "avenging archangel" of the
Holocaust, Wiesenthal created after the war a repository of
concentration camp testimonials and dossiers on Nazis at his Jewish
Documentation Center. The information was used to help professional
lawyers prosecute those responsible for some of the 20th century's most
abominable crimes.

Impassioned, at times intemperate, Wiesenthal spoke of the horrors
first-hand, having spent the war hovering near death in a series of
labor and extermination camps. Nearly 90 members of his family perished.

After the Nuremberg Trials of the late 1940s, Wiesenthal remained a
persistent and lonely voice calling for war crimes trials of former
Nazis. This was later considered by many a remarkable achievement,
coming during the Cold War when the major world powers were recruiting
former Nazis to help govern countries along the Iron Curtain. There was
little political will to relive World War II, and few cared to challenge
that perspective.

Martin Mendelsohn, a Washington lawyer who in the late 1970s helped
establish the Nazi-hunting Office of Special Investigations within the
U.S. Justice Department, said in an interview that Wiesenthal "kept the
memory of the Holocaust alive when everyone wanted it to go away. When
Jewish groups wanted it to go away, he wanted to keep it alive. That is
his signal accomplishment."

Following the creed "justice, not vengeance," Wiesenthal said trials of
Nazis would provide moral restitution for the Jews and have the best
chance of preventing the anti-Semitism that defined the first half of
his life.

"I'm doing this because I have to do it," he once said. "I am not
motivated by a sense of revenge. Perhaps I was for a short time in the
very beginning. ... Even before I had had time to really think things
through, I realized we must not forget. If all of us forgot, the same
thing might happen again, in 20 or 50 or 100 years."

His targets included Adolph Eichmann, one of the foremost planners of
Jewish extermination; Fritz Stangl, commandant of two death camps;
Gestapo officer Karl Silberbauer, who arrested Anne Frank in her
Amsterdam hideout; and Hermine Braunsteiner Ryan, who helped process the
murder of women and children at a camp in Poland and later was found
living as a housewife in Queens, N.Y.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/20/AR2005092000201.html