[Mb-civic] FW: GET IT RIGHT!

Jef Bek jefbek at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 18 17:36:45 PDT 2005

I like responding to the poll on MSNBC¹s Connected

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6862172/

One of the new questions is:
³Do you agree with a federal judge's ruling, declaring it unconstitutional
to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools²

The wording of this question really pissed me off because that¹s NOT what
the judge ruled! He ruled that forcing American students to recite the
phrase ³UNDER GOD² was a separation of church and state and there for should
be removed from the pledge of Allegiance to a nation which claims to be free
from religious tyranny!

As much as the republicans have messed up during the Bush reign, I can
imagine they will try and use issues like The Pledge of Allegiance against
us in next years elections. It¹s very important and interesting how
questions are put to the American people.

I wrote the following letter to MSNBC:

C¹mon guys, I thought you were smarter than that! Your wording of the WEIGH
IN question: ³Do you agree with a federal judge's ruling, declaring it
unconstitutional to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools² Is
false! The federal judge ruled that requiring students to recite the Pledge
of Allegiance containing the words ³UNDER GOD² in public schools is
unconstitutional. Big difference! This was a very proud nation doing just
fine with out the phrase. It was inserted in 1953 to differentiate us from
the secular Russians.

A more interesting, and accurate question might be: America escaped
religious tyranny to be free to worship any religion or no religion. Our
constitution was established to make this and many other rights unalienable.
The separation of Church and State was very important to our founding
fathers, the creators of The American Constitution. Countless numbers of
Americans have died to protect these freedoms. In 1953, the phrase ³UNDER
GOD² was added to the pledge of allegiance in Public Schools at the start of
The Cold War with Russia. Isn¹t it now time to remove that phrase?

Jef
American Citizen