[Mb-civic] Our enduring Constitution - Margaret H. Marshall - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 06:58:07 PDT 2005

Our enduring Constitution

By Margaret H. Marshall  |  September 17, 2005

''UNPRECEDENTED." That is how James Madison described the government
established by the US Constitution. ''We cannot find one express
prototype in the experience of the world," he said. ''It stands by itself.

Nearly 230 years later, our federal Constitution remains apart: In the
words of historian Joseph Ellis, ours is ''the longest-lived republic in
world history." And certainly the most influential. From the United
Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights to the constitutions of
emerging democracies on every continent, the US Constitution has served
as model and inspiration.

Ellis also says, ''All alternative forms of political organization
appear to be fighting a futile rearguard action against the liberal
institutions and ideas first established in the United States in the
18th century."

 From radical experiment to global gold standard: What accounts for the
continued vitality of the federal Constitution?

The answer lies in our founders' unwavering commitment to individual and
property rights, and in the brilliant system of government they devised
to protect those rights from government oppression.

Recall that the drafters of our Constitution had lived as a colonized
people. They had experienced firsthand the work of tyranny. Religious
persecution. Press censorship, arbitrary seizures of property, summary
trials and executions, oppressive taxes -- the sting of harsh,
discriminatory laws and unequal treatment, of government run amok, had
marred every facet of their lives.

They hoped the odd new government established in the federal
Constitution would hold government in check, allowing human liberty to
flourish in an ordered society. Power would be diffused throughout the
federal government and shared with the states. An independent judiciary
would be authorized to administer laws impartially, and to protect the
basic rights of individuals when popular sentiment or government action
threatened those rights.

In short, the founders strove to create a ''government of laws and not
of men." Those are the words of John Adams, enshrined in the
Massachusetts Constitution, the structural model of our national charter.

The Constitution drafted in Philadelphia was radical and brilliant, but
it was not perfect. It compromised shamefully on the issue of slavery.
It turned a blind eye to the rights of women.

Yet the US Constitution did what no other had ever done before it, and
many have failed to do since. With the terrible exception of the Civil
War, it has provided the framework for nonviolent political debate, even
of an era's most divisive social and political issues. The Constitution
rarely provides final ''answers" to the endlessly thorny issues
presented by our changing society. But it allows resolutions to emerge
from civil dialogue, not blood in the streets.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/09/17/our_enduring_constitution/