[Mb-civic] The Case For a 'No' Vote on Roberts - E. J. Dionne - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 06:52:14 PDT 2005

The Case For a 'No' Vote on Roberts

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
Saturday, September 17, 2005; Page A21

"Where are you?"

That was the question Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) almost plaintively
posed to Judge John Roberts as the Senate Judiciary Committee's hearings
neared their conclusion. It is the right question.

Durbin wanted to know where Roberts's deepest commitments, his "core
values," lay. Were there some causes to which Roberts would simply not
offer his "legal skills" -- amply demonstrated in his life, and again
this week -- as a matter of principle?

Roberts suggested there really were no such limits, or, at least, he
wouldn't tell us what they were. "I've been on both sides of this
affirmative action issue," he said cheerfully. Yes, but you can't be on
both sides as chief justice. He fought the idea that his view of the
lawyer's role "sounds like you're a hired gun," but that is exactly how
it sounds. A chief justice is hired on behalf of all of us.

In his testimony, Roberts was brilliant, affable, engaging and amusing.
He was also evasive, calculating and, well, slick.

"Would you say there's a general right to privacy?" Sen. Charles Schumer
(D-N.Y.) asked Roberts. "I don't know what 'general' means," Roberts
replied. Fair enough, though I wish Schumer had also asked Roberts what
the meaning of "is" is.

How senators vote on Roberts -- and in particular how Democrats and
moderate Republicans vote -- depends on where they believe the burden of
proof lies. The accepted Washington view is that deference should be
paid to a manifestly qualified presidential nominee.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said that some of Roberts's potential
opponents seemed to be saying that "the only way you can have a good
heart is adopt my value system." That, Graham insisted, does "a great
disservice to the judiciary."

But the doubts about Roberts have nothing to do with his good heart. The
issue is the power about to be put in his hands and into the hands of
President Bush's next appointee -- power both will enjoy for life. The
Senate and the public have a right to far more assurance about how
Roberts would use that power than they have been given in these
hearings. The Senate is under no obligation to give the president or
Roberts the benefit of the doubt.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/16/AR2005091602169.html?nav=hcmodule