[Mb-civic] Bishop Spong: The Right to Live and Die

Reeeees at aol.com Reeeees at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 13:23:51 PDT 2005

     (https://secure.agoramedia.com/trackpromo.asp?pi=10&promo=10)
(http://forums.prospero.com/sp-bishopspong)

 (http://click.atdmt.com/AGM/go/ain00800001agm/direct/01/) Carol from Florida
 writes:
"Several years ago, I was interviewed at a pro-choice event for  Republicans.
Being well past any likelihood of pregnancy, I linked my  concern about my
right to die with my right to decide about my fertility.  Both ends of life are
clearly the prime battlegrounds of the "Right to  Life" groups, yet they
assert that an embryo or a fetus and a person who  cannot survive without heroic,
indefinite intervention are fully alive and  must be saved. I said then that I
was as appalled at the notion that the  government might decide if I should
live or die, just as they might decide  if my daughters could have an abortion
within the reasonable parameters  set by Roe v. Wade. People at that event
thought I was "stretching it."
"Since then I have been proven tragically correct.  Attorney General John
Ashcroft has challenged Oregon on its right to death  with dignity law. Abortion
conditions continue to be eroded by the radical  conservatives who seem to
know better than the family in question what is  best. People in nursing homes
often have to be resuscitated at hospitals  because, even with written
directives otherwise, the nursing home is  required to send the patient to the hospital
to be "saved." Can you  explain how it is that the Republican Party that has
historically stood  for limited government is now inserting itself into the
most personal of  issues?"
Dear Carol,Politics is always more  about power than principle. You should
not expect consistency from either  party. If you go back into the 30s, the
Democrats were in power and met  the Depression with massive spending programs and
rising deficits. Today  the Republicans are in power and the Democrats are
complaining about  bigger and bigger government and massive deficits. In the
days of Abraham  Lincoln, the Republicans were the party of civil rights and
justice for  black Americans. Today, black Americans tend to vote about 90%
Democratic.  In the days of Theodore Roosevelt, Republicans were the environmental
champions. Today most environmental groups endorse Democratic candidates.
These things may be ideological for some but I am convinced that they  result
more from the desire to ride issues into political power more than  anything
else. That is not cynical so much as it is realistic. Power is  the name of the
primary goal of politics.
When I lived in Virginia in the fifties and sixties, the  Democrats tended to
be "States Rights, Anti-integration, Anti-Union,  Conservatives." During that
time, the best governor of that state was, in  my opinion, A. Linwood Holton,
a Republican. As a citizen now of New  Jersey, I still regard Republican
Thomas H. Kean as the most effective  governor in the past thirty years.
What is now going on in American politics is, I believe, a  reaction to the
fast pace of change that always creates uncertainty and  fear. It has been
building since shortly after World War II. It began with  the post World War II
massive migration of black Americans out of the  south into urban America. Next
came the morally correct, but culturally  destabilizing ruling of the Supreme
Court against segregation in 1954.  This was followed by urban unrest and
riots in the sixties, created in  part by the pressure on social systems in
northern cities with the arrival  of black migrants who, as products of a cruel and
dehumanizing  segregation, were generally poorly trained and poorly educated.
Next came  the disillusioning war in Vietnam that we could not win, we could
not lose  and from which we did not seem to know how to extricate ourselves.
This  was followed by the Watergate scandal in which, for the first time in
American history, a sitting president was expelled from office. These  forces
came together to create great insecurity, great anxiety and great  fear. It also
caused our nation as a whole to search for leaders who  reflected the values
of our past that, by comparison, looked calm and  peaceful where values were
not in doubt. Since it is far more difficult to  articulate new values than to
retreat into the past, this nation turned  first to 'born again' Jimmy Carter
and later Ronald Reagan, whose movie  career projected him as the candidate of
law and order, American  patriotism and traditional values. Gradually security
was restored and in  1992 America turned its presidency over to one who
reflected the Vietnam  resistance. It was time to move on. President Bill Clinton's
misuse of the  Oval Office for sexual escapades, however, plus the constant
and I think  excessive investigation of him by a politically motivated
Republican  Congress reignited the fear that values were once again under assault,
resulting in the narrow victory in 2000 by another voice of the past,  George W.
Bush, the son of Reagan's vice president and successor, George  W. H. Bush.
The Bush II presidency was then defined by the 9/11 attacks  that once again
cast the people of this nation into a mode of fear. Fear  always drives people
to seek the security of yesterday, a security they  feel that they have lost.
The appeal of the present Bush administration is  first to family values, which
is code language for anti-abortion measures  and government control of sexual
activity. The corollary to this is the  drive to protect the "sanctity of
marriage," which is the code language  for anti-homosexual measures. So life
issues and sexual repression issues  dominate their social agenda. They seem not
to realize that this flies in  the face of their conservative promise to "limit
government" or to "get  the government off the back of the people." The
politics of fear is quite  frequently the ticket to power. The rise of a
controlling religious  mentality that seeks to force everyone by law to abide by the
prevailing  traditional norms of behavior is a part of that.
What usually happens when religion becomes politically  powerful and seeks to
impose its values on the whole body politic is that,  drunk with a new sense
of importance, it ultimately overreaches its  mandate and people begin to feel
threatened by the imposition of a  narrowly defined religious power. The
passion that surrounded the Terri  Schiavo case, the president's dramatic flight
to Washington to sign the  emergency measure rushed through Congress at
midnight to "save this  woman's life," Republican Majority leader Tom Delay's
subsequent attack on  the Judiciary, the whole drama being orchestrated from Florida
by Governor  Jeb Bush, and Republican Senate Leader Bill Frist's suggestion
that by not  passing every judge nominated by the President, the political
opposition  party was attacking religion, even hinting that Democratic opposition
to  these potential judges was based on the fact that the nominees were
"Evangelical Christians," has all the marks of a major over-stepping of  the
boundaries of religious power. People respond quite negatively to any  attempt to
coerce conformity. A Democrat named Franklin Delano Roosevelt,  at the height of
his post depression popularity, tried to pack the Supreme  Court and was
rebuffed by an aroused public. That is clearly happening  once again today even
though the political shoe is on the other foot. The  practice of politics is
always about power more than principle and this  nation is strong enough and wise
enough never to let any group or any  person get too much power. So, relax and
let history play itself out. It  will.

 New Book  From Bishop Spong Available Now!
_THE  SINS OF SCRIPTURE_
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060762055/agoramedia-20)

Exposing the Bible's Texts of Hate  to Reveal the God of Love   "The  Sins of
Scripture challenges Christians to look beyond the  myths of their faith into
the heart of the matter."
-Bill  O'Reilly, anchor, Fox News Channel
_Order your copy  today!_
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060762055/agoramedia-20)