[Mb-civic] Bush Takes Responsibility For Failures Of Response - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Sep 14 04:11:46 PDT 2005

Bush Takes Responsibility For Failures Of Response

By Jim VandeHei and Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, September 14, 2005; Page A01

President Bush yesterday said he takes personal responsibility for the
federal government's stumbling response to Hurricane Katrina, as his
White House worked on several fronts to move beyond the improvisation of
the first days of the crisis and set a long-term course on a problem
that aides now believe will shadow the balance of Bush's second term.

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all
levels of government," Bush said at a White House news conference with
Iraqi President Jalal Talabani. "And to the extent that the federal
government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility. I want
to know what went right and what went wrong."
The first major public event in the White House effort to take control
of the post-Katrina political and policy agenda will occur tomorrow
night in a prime-time speech to the nation. The president will deliver
it from the flood region on his fourth trip there since the hurricane
struck.

Bush already has dispatched his top strategist, Deputy Chief of Staff
Karl Rove, and other aides to assemble ideas from agencies, conservative
think tanks, GOP lawmakers and state officials to guide the rebuilding
of New Orleans and relocation of flood victims. The idea, aides said, is
twofold: provide a quick federal response that comports with Bush's
governing philosophy, and prevent Katrina from swamping his second-term
ambitions on Social Security, taxes and Middle East democracy-building.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/13/AR2005091300588.html?nav=hcmodule