[Mb-civic] The future is now - H.D.S. Greenway - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Sep 13 04:09:12 PDT 2005

The future is now

By H.D.S. Greenway  |  September 13, 2005

DURING WORLD War II my mother was an air raid warden. Oh, not in burning
cities such as London or Warsaw. She was a warden in the suburbs of
Boston where bombs never fell. She, and others like her, wore a Civil
Defense armband and a whistle, and were on the lookout for saboteurs as
well as enemy planes. If there had been an air raid or an act of
sabotage, she would have known just what to do. It all may seem a little
silly now, but real saboteurs were landed from submarines in Maine and
on Long Island.

Later, as the Cold War dawned, she maintained a walled off corner of our
basement as a bomb shelter that would have saved us only if the atom
bomb burst very far away. But she had it stocked with canned goods,
bottled water, flashlight, batteries, bandages, and other things that
could tide us over until some semblance of normalcy could be restored.

Everyone of my generation remembers ''duck and cover" drills in which
school kids got under their desks and covered their heads in the event
that Russian planes should come to deliver World War III. Much fun has
been made of all those long-ago precautions. As if ducking and covering
could help in a nuclear holocaust, scoffers said. But if the blast had
been far enough away not to incinerate us, but merely bring the school
house down around our heads, ducking and covering might not have been so
silly as it later seemed.

I am recalling all this because of an article I saw in The Wall Street
Journal entitled: ''Lessons From the Flood: Sales of Emergency Kits Jump
As Katrina Prompts Families to Reassess Disaster Plans." An article on
the same page headlined ''A Medical Checklist" recommended just about
everything my mother used to stock in our bomb shelter.

Maybe some of the other precautions this nation took in those days might
not seem so ludicrous now that we are seeing an entire city evacuated.
Scientists have long warned that global warming will produce ever
greater and more powerful storms -- made all the more dangerous because
so many people now live so close to the coasts. Then there is the ''big
one," the giant earthquake that will someday come to California -- made
worse because so many people live on the great faults where earthquakes
sleep, awaiting their time as subterranean pressures grow.

And in the back of every American's mind is the haunting question: What
if terrorists let weapons of mass destruction loose in one or more of
our cities?

It wouldn't be a bad idea if civilians, like my mother, had a bigger
role to play if disaster comes, if they knew what to do and how to help.
When official responders are overwhelmed, as they were in Katrina, if
there were more civilian air raid wardens with whistles who knew in
advance what the evacuation routes were and how to get the old, sick,
and poor out from under, with the rudiments of first aid at their
disposal, maybe the damage inflicted in the next one could be mitigated.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/09/13/the_future_is_now/