[Mb-civic] Arctic Folly - Jimmy Carter - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Sep 13 03:58:53 PDT 2005

Arctic Folly

By Jimmy Carter
Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Page A27

Congress is about to make one of those big decisions that marks an era.
Unless wiser heads prevail, it may do it badly -- making the wrong
decision in the wrong way and about the wrong place. At stake is
America's greatest wildlife sanctuary, the Arctic National Wildlife
Refuge. To dissuade Congress from this environmental tragedy, Americans
must rally, and quickly.

Congress had its Pyrrhic energy victory this summer, with a new energy
policy that ignores much-needed conservation measures and gives the oil
industry large new tax breaks regardless of where it drills and pumps.
Surely Congress has done more than enough to increase the profits of the
oil industry.

Yet now, in a separate decision, the White House and Big Oil are
pressuring Congress to allow drilling rigs to rip into the ecological
heart of America's preeminent wildlife sanctuary. We must not confuse
this with Prudhoe Bay, which lies west of the Arctic refuge and is
already an industrial landscape resembling Houston more than Yellowstone.

With increasing gasoline prices bringing economic hardship and concern
to many Americans, we must not be misled by oil lobbyists who are trying
to convince us that our energy security is singularly dependent on
sacrificing the Arctic refuge. They promote the false premise that
development will touch just a few thousand acres when, in fact, it would
introduce roads and pipelines spider-webbing across hundreds of
thousands of acres on the fragile coastal plain.

We cannot drill our way to energy security or lower gasoline prices as
long as our nation sits on just 3 percent of world oil reserves yet
accounts for 25 percent of all oil consumption. An obvious answer is to
increase the fuel efficiency of motor vehicles, at least to the level we
set more than a quarter-century ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/12/AR2005091201347.html