[Mb-civic] Bill Moyers: 9/11 & the Sport of God

Linda Hassler lindahassler at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 12 14:27:34 PDT 2005

This article is adapted from Bill Moyer's address this week at Union
Theological Seminary in New York, where Judith and Bill Moyers received
the seminary's highest award, the Union Medal, for their contributions
to faith and reason in America. I'm sending just the first two
paragraphs. Read the whole by clicking the truthout.org link given. He
concludes the speech (article) with something very important to us at
this time.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/091105X.shtml

9/11 and the Sport of God
     By Bill Moyers
      Commondreams.org

      Friday 09 September 2005

      At the Central Baptist Church in Marshall, Texas, where I was
baptized in the faith, we believed in a free church in a free state. I
still do.

      My spiritual forbears did not take kindly to living under
theocrats who embraced religious liberty for themselves but denied it
to others. "Forced worship stinks in God's nostrils," thundered the
dissenter Roger Williams as he was banished from Massachusetts for
denying Puritan authority over his conscience. Baptists there were a
"pitiful negligible minority" but they were agitators for freedom and
therefore denounced as "incendiaries of the commonwealth" for holding
to their belief in that great democracy of faith - the priesthood of
all believers. For refusing to pay tribute to the state religion they
were fined, flogged, and exiled. In 1651 the Baptist Obadiah Holmes was
given 30 stripes with a three-corded whip after he violated the law and
took forbidden communion with another Baptist in Lynn, Massachusetts.
His friends offered to pay his fine for his release but he refused.
They offered him strong drink to anesthetize the pain of the flogging.
Again he refused. It is the love of liberty, he said, "that must free
the soul."