[Mb-civic] Demand Accountability for the Response to Katrina

Tom Hughes, Democracy for America info at democracyforamerica.com
Mon Sep 12 12:19:32 PDT 2005

Dear michael,

Last Thursday, Jim Dean called for the White House to quit dodging
responsibility for mishandling the response to Hurricane Katrina. Since
then, over 32,000 people have joined the drive to get the White House to
establish an Independent Commission to find out what went wrong and make
sure it never happens again.

That's a good start -- but to get the Bush administration's attention,
we need to gather enough signatures to send an unmistakable message that
Americans want answers. We need to get 50,000 people to support an
Independent Commission -- by Wednesday.

Sign the petition:

http://www.democracyforamerica.com/accountability

We saw the scenes of thousands stranded in the devastation of New
Orleans. We heard the stories about whole Mississippi towns still
overlooked by FEMA a week after the storm. Yet Bush still has his team
of political cronies -- complete with Michael 'Heck of a Job' Brown,
the director of FEMA -- in place to lead the recovery effort, despite
their record of costly mistakes.

This is madness. We know the people of the Gulf Coast need massive help
in rebuilding their lives. They can't afford more mistakes. That's why
this recovery effort needs sound, experienced leadership. We can only
get that by finding the sources of the mistakes and rooting them out.

Let's get 50,000 signatures on the petition for an Independent
Commission by Wednesday. Sign it now:

http://www.democracyforamerica.com/accountability

Bush's press secretary gave Americans who want accountability the back
of his hand last week. He wrote off the outcry about Katrina -- from us,
and from across America -- as a "blame game."

To families still living in shelters, campers, and tents -- looking for
loved ones and wondering if they can ever go home -- this is no game.
Those are the people the White House needs to answer.

This is a pattern. When the CIA leak investigation into Bush advisor
Karl Rove heated up, the press secretary said, "Now is not the time to
talk about it." Simple questions from the press about the failed Katrina
response now get the same answer: "Now is not the time."

Nonsense. In a government of the people, a president owes answers to
the people. We can make that happen -- but we need 50,000 signatures by
Wednesday to send Bush the message that America wants an independent
investigation of the response to Katrina. Sign now:

http://www.democracyforamerica.com/accountability

Thank you,
Tom Hughes
Democracy for America

---

https://secure.democracyforamerica.com/contribute

This email was sent to michael at intrafi.com

You can invite your friends to join DFA by clicking here:
http://www.democracyforamerica.com/invite

You may unsubscribe by clicking here:
http://www.democracyforamerica.com/unsub/

|Paid for by Democracy for America, www.democracyforamerica.com,    |
|and not authorized by any candidate.  Contributions to Democracy   |
|for America are not deductible for federal income tax purposes.    |