[Mb-civic] A Price To Be Paid For Folly - David Broder - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Sep 11 18:35:18 PDT 2005

A Price To Be Paid For Folly

By David S. Broder
Sunday, September 11, 2005; Page B07

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, credible private experts are
forecasting a federal budget deficit of $500 billion for this year, a
sharp reminder of the government's fiscal folly.

For all the deserved criticism the Bush administration has received for
its tardy and ragged response to the storm's ravages on New Orleans and
the Gulf Coast, the long-term costs to the nation of the reckless
disregard both the president and Congress have shown toward paying the
nation's bills may be even greater.

In time those forced from their homes in Louisiana and Mississippi will
be returned, and a degree of order will be restored to their
communities. Business will recover. Mardi Gras will again be celebrated
in the French Quarter. But our children and grandchildren will pay a
continuing price for the refusal of our leaders to face the reality of
an out-of-control budget.

The scale of the failure is measured by a set of numbers that Rep. John
Spratt of South Carolina, the senior Democrat on the House Budget
Committee, carries with him. They chart the annual increases passed by
Congress in the national debt limit. In 2002 it was $450 billion; in
2003, $984 billion; in 2004, $800 billion; and this year, the House has
passed an increase of another $781 billion, on which the Senate has yet
to act. That totals a stunning $3 trillion in additional debt in four
years -- a 50 percent increase in the cumulative debt from all of
America's previous history.

When you look at that record, the self-congratulatory tone of the
Republicans who have been running Washington seems absurdly unjustified.
In July, when the White House Office of Management and Budget said the
deficit for this year would decline to $333 billion from $412 billion in
2004, President Bush said, "It's a sign that our economy is strong, and
it's a sign that our tax relief plan, our pro-growth policies are working."

In August, when the Congressional Budget Office lowered the deficit
forecast to $331 billion, Republican Rep. Jim Nussle of Iowa, the
chairman of the House Budget Committee, said, "We're clearly on the
right track. The strong economy, higher revenues and falling deficit
projections are all results of the successful leadership and policies of
the Congress and the president."

These judgments were faulty at the time. They made no provision for the
continuing costs of the war in Iraq, or for the Republican plan to end
the estate tax and make all the previous Bush tax cuts permanent. And,
most of all, they did not realistically calculate the costs of the new
Medicare prescription drug benefit and the looming obligations to the
millions of baby boomers who are nearing retirement age.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/09/AR2005090901820.html