[Mb-civic] Aloha

JACK LAYTON jack.bette.layton at verizon.net
Fri Sep 9 16:54:44 PDT 2005

Aloha Michael:

I'm outraged that our politicians have taken advantage of an enormous tragedy to continue their viper like partisan death fight.  I'm apolitical and interested only in politicians, no matter what party, that contribute to the good of the country.  Some of the current ones need to be tried for treason.  I think the people of the south eastern states so devastated by Katrina need to vote in some new government officials who so bungled response to the disaster.  Horrifying that the Red Cross had food and water at the Astro Dome and state officials wouldn't let it be delivered!!!!!  The Senator who is screaming and howling at the federal government has for several years had the computer generated scenario of exactly what would happen and although Louisiana receives more funds than any other state for the corp of engineers, didn't do one thing to plan for what they knew would happen!!!!!  I really don't care where FEMA is located in government structure, it is up to the states and local communities to develop disaster plans.  We were here in 1992 for hurricane Iniki which people didn't hear much about as it came in the wake of Andrew, however it devasated this island.  The day before the local newspaper headline stated that Iniki would bypass Kauai.  The next morning at 5:30 the sirens woke people,  we all turned on the radio, followed instructions given by the Mayor and civil defense and there were no deaths during that horrific storm.  Parts of the island had no electricity or water for months, but everybody (multi-races) and I mean everybody pulled together and helped each other out.  Since 9/11 the Red Cross has had all kinds of disaster preparedness courses available at local level and works closely with Civil Defense.  Last week when surveyed, most people on this island reported they had a disaster plan.  There are Community Emergence Response Teams all over the island.  For two years we've belonged to the team in Princeville, when cut off we're first responders, we know how to use short wave radios, we know CPR, how to use a portable difibrilater, First Aid, triage, we've had Red Cross training for Mass Care, Shelter Operations and Disaster Service.  Tomorrow I have three more hours of disaster planning training.  My point is communities need to get off their okoles and get working.  Of course it's too late for the southeast, but all the more reason to get going!!!!  As far as the southeast is concerned it's time to stop pointing fingers, calling names, maneuvering for political gain to stop and get to work!!!

A hui hou,
Bette