[Mb-civic] What the Republicans said LAST TIME... See any parallels..? :)

NewChaz64 at aol.com NewChaz64 at aol.com
Sun Sep 11 13:05:51 PDT 2005

Why did they second-guess our  commitment to freedom from genocide and demand
that we cut and  run?

"President Clinton is  once again releasing American military might on a
foreign country with an  ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to
tell the Congress how  much this operation will cost. And he has not informed
our nation's armed forces  about how long they will be away from home. These
strikes do not make for a  sound foreign policy."
-Senator Rick Santorum  (R-PA)

"No goal, no  objective, not until we have those things and a compelling case
is made, then I  say, back out of it, because innocent people are going to
die for nothing.  That's why I'm against it."
-Sean Hannity, Fox News,  4/5/99

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery.  Simply  put, the
administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign  policy."
-Representative Tom Delay  (R-TX)

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they  have a
clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit  strategy."
-Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of presidential candidate George W.  Bush

Why did they demoralize our brave men  and women in uniform
?

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the  beginning...I didn't think
we had done enough in the diplomatic  area."
-Senator Trent Lott  (R-MS)

"You think Vietnam was  bad? Vietnam is nothing next to Kosovo."
-Tony Snow, Fox News  3/24/99

"Well, I just think  it's a bad idea. What's going to happen is they're going
to be over there for  10, 15, maybe 20 years"
-Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"I'm on the Senate Intelligence Committee, so you  can trust me and believe
me when I say we're running out of cruise missles. I  can't tell you exactly
how many we have left, for security reasons, but we're  almost out of cruise
missles."
-Senator Inhofe  (R-OK )

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it  is
often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning  that
lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague  objectives
and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are  still
unanswered. There are no clarifiedrules of engagement. There is no  timetable.
There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency  plan for
mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to
bolster our overextended military. There is no explanation defining what vital
national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the
President started this thing, and there still is no plan  today"
-Representative Tom Delay  (R-TX)

"I don't know that  Milosevic will ever raise a white flag"
-Senator Don Nickles (R-OK)

"Explain to the mothers  and fathers of American servicemen that may come
home in body bags why their son  or daughter have to give up their life?"
-Sean  Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

Why didn't they  support our president in a time of war?

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's  important for the President to
explain to us what the exit strategy  is."
-Governor George W. Bush  (R-TX)

"This is President Clinton's war, and when he falls flat on his face,  that's
his problem."
-Senator Richard Lugar  (R-IN)

"The two powers that have ICBMs that can reach the United States are  Russia
and China. Here we go in. We're taking on not just Milosevic. We can't  just
say, 'that little guy, we can whip him.' We have these two other powers  that
have missiles that can reach us, and we have zero defense thanks to this
president."
-Senator James Inhofe  (R-OK)

"You can support the  troops but not the president"
-Representative  Tom Delay (R-TX)

"My job as majority leader is be supportive of our troops, try to  have input
as decisions are made and to look at those decisions after they're  made ...
not to march in lock step with everything the president decides to  do."
-Senator Trent Lott  (R-MS)

For us to call this a  victory and to commend the President of the United
States as the Commander in  Chief showing great leadership in Operation Allied
Force is a  farce"
-Representative Tom Delay (R-TX)

Why did they blame America first?

Bombing a sovereign  nation for ill-defined reasons with vague objectives
undermines the American  stature in the world. The international respect and
trust for America has  diminished every time we casually let the bombs fly."

-Representative Tom Delay  (R-TX)

"Once the bombing commenced, I think then Milosevic unleashed his  forces,
and then that's when the slaughtering and the massive ethnic cleansing  really
started"

-Senator Don  Nickles (R-OK)

"
Clinton's bombing campaign has caused all of these problems to  explode"

-Representative Tom  Delay (R-TX)

"America has no vital interest in whose flag flies over Kosovo's  capital,
and no right to attack and kill Serb soldiers fighting on their own  soil to
preserve the territorial integrity of their own  country"

-Pat Buchanan  (R)

"These international war criminals were led by Gen. Wesley Clark  ...who
clicked his shiny heels for the commander-in-grief, Bill  Clinton."

-Michael Savage

"This has been an unmitigated disaster ...  Ask the Chinese embassy. Ask all
the people in Belgrade that we've killed. Ask  the refugees that we've killed.
Ask the people in nursing homes. Ask the people  in hospitals."

-Representative Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"It is a  remarkable spectacle to see the Clinton Administration and NATO
taking over from  the Soviet Union the role of sponsoring "wars of national
liberation."

-Representative Helen Chenoweth (R-ID)

"America has no vital  interest in whose flag flies over Kosovo's capital,
and no right to attack and  kill Serb soldiers fighting on their own soil to
preserve the territorial  integrity of their own country"

-Pat Buchanan (R  )

"By the order to launch air  strikes against Serbia, NATO and President
Clinton have entered uncharted  territory in mankind's history. Not even Hitler's
grab of the Sudetenland in the  1930s, which eventually led to WW II, ranks as
a comparable travesty. For, there  are no American interests whatsoever that
the NATO bombing will
either help,  or protect; only needless risks to which it exposes the
American soldiers and  assets, not to mention the victims on the ground in Serbia."

-Bob Djurdjevic, founder  of Truth in Media