[Mb-civic] Disaster's disquieting reality - Ellen Goodman - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Sep 9 04:14:39 PDT 2005

Disaster's disquieting reality

By Ellen Goodman  |  September 9, 2005

THIS IS THE phrase repeated again and again when Katrina broke through
the levees of denial: ''I can't believe this is America."

The mantra of disbelief echoed from a veteran of the war in Afghanistan
to the president of Jefferson Parish to mothers and fathers in the
Superdome to families around their television sets: ''This doesn't
happen here."

For days on end we watched a toxic gumbo of natural and manmade
disasters cooking along the Gulf Coast. ''The city that care forgot"
felt forgotten. The ''left behind" were not characters in a faith-based
thriller but old folks, poor folks, black folks without enough money to
pay for a ticket out of hell.

For a time, reporters called them ''refugees," as if the displaced
citizens of the late, great city of New Orleans were Bosnians or
Somalis. For a moment, an exhausted Brian Williams, embedded in the
Superdome, talked about getting back to the states as if the sports
arena were a foreign country. ''I've seen things," he said, ''I never
thought I'd see in the United States."

Now, in the parade of plagues, flood is followed by fire and pestilence.
Words like ''diaspora" are used to describe an exodus of biblical
proportions. And this Sunday we will mark the anniversary of 9/11, not
merely with a bizarre country music festival planned by the Pentagon but
with mourning and cleaning.

It's been four years since Al Qaeda came crashing out of the blue,
shattering the threshold of our imagination. As men flew planes into
buildings, as innocents fell to their deaths, we were left gasping at
our vulnerability. This year, Katrina has come out of the Gulf and left
us gasping, not at evil but at incompetence, not at sworn enemies but at
sworn protectors.

Forgive me if I find some comfort in the voices that expressed shock and
shame that ''this" could happen in our own country. They were not
shocked by the hurricane, however devastating. They were not shamed by
the flood or even the evacuated city. The disbelief was about people
stranded for days on rooftops, abandoned in a sports stadium,
unprotected in hospitals, drowned in nursing homes.

The disbelief was that while ''this" happened, FEMA fiddled, a ship sat
idle in the Gulf of Mexico with 120 sailors and 600 hospital beds, and
the president expressed the tone-deaf optimism that Trent Lott would
rebuild a ''fantastic" new home from his rubble: ''I'm looking forward
to sitting on the porch."

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/09/09/disasters_disquieting_reality/