[Mb-civic] Ending Battle With FDA, Bayer Withdraws Poultry Antibiotic - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Sep 9 04:04:25 PDT 2005

Ending Battle With FDA, Bayer Withdraws Poultry Antibiotic

By Marc Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 9, 2005; Page A03

For the first time, the Food and Drug Administration has succeeded in
forcing off the market an antibiotic used to treat animals because of
concerns that it will make similar antibiotics less effective in
treating people. After a five-year battle, Bayer Corp. said yesterday
that it would immediately stop selling its poultry antibiotic, Baytril,
a close relative to its widely used human antibiotic, Cipro. The company
could have appealed the FDA ban on the drug to a federal court but
instead decided to comply.

"We disagree with the FDA's conclusion about our drug," said Bayer
spokesman Robert Walker. "But we understand they made a scientific
decision, and courts tend to defer back to the agency. . . . It seemed
like the chances that we would be successful in court were small."

The resolution of the Baytril case opens the door to FDA action against
other animal antibiotics. The agency has already told the makers of at
least three types of penicillin used on farm animals that their products
might raise similar concerns, and regulatory action might be needed.

Yesterday, public health advocates hailed Bayer's decision and the FDA
actions that precipitated it.

"We applaud Commissioner [Lester M.] Crawford for defending the public's
health and Bayer for finally recognizing the need to comply with the
FDA's ruling," said Karen Florini, senior lawyer at Environmental
Defense and chairwoman of the Keep Antibiotics Working coalition. "Cipro
is a critical antibiotic for treating human illness. It simply makes no
sense to allow its effectiveness to be squandered by continued use of
near-identical drugs in poultry flocks."

All antibiotics grow less effective over time as bacteria evolve to
become resistant to the drugs' effects. Experts say wider use of an
antibiotic -- by either animals or people -- leads to a speedier
development of resistance.

In its battle to continue marketing Baytril for use in poultry flocks,
Bayer was joined by the Animal Health Institute, which represents drug
makers, and four poultry trade associations. The company and the groups
argued that no proof existed that Baytril was making drugs such as Cipro
less effective, and that the drug's benefits were not properly considered.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/08/AR2005090801918.html