[Mb-civic] Love Isn't Blind - Elinor Lipman - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Sep 8 03:59:48 PDT 2005

Love Isn't Blind
True love means always having to say, "Honey, there's a spot on your
tie. You can't go out like that."

By Elinor Lipman  |  September 4, 2005

I've long been grateful to the nice woman who left the buffet table at a
West Springfield restaurant to alert me to the mortifying fact that my
skirt was tucked into the waistband of my pantyhose as I exited the
ladies' room.

Doesn't everyone appreciate this brand of human mirrordom? Don't we all
want a friend or a partner who, in public, can pantomime lipstick on
teeth or fly unzipped? I remember with great fondness the boss who asked
me with a wry smile, "New dress?" the day I came to work with a price
tag still hanging from my armpit.

My enthusiasm for grooming frankness leads me to a fascination with
couples that exercise none. Most memorably: a happy pair, or so it
seemed, one child of each gender at home, who sat next to me at a dinner
party, circa 1990. I don't recall the food or the guest list, only the
undisturbed northeaster of dandruff resting on the husband's collar,
evidently unnoticed, unbrushed, unscolded by his wife all night.

I asked two psychiatric professionals about this phenomenon. Was it
delicacy? Embarrassment? Cluelessness? How does one account for the
public wearing of toupees? For Donald Trump's comb-over?

The first explained: "It could be habituation. You get used to something
and don't see it anymore. Also, there are dynamics within couples. If
you're together, and you tell someone, for example, that his T-shirt is
ripped and he smells, and he gets mad, you don't tell him anymore. It's
probably the iceberg dynamic: You, the outsider, are seeing a moment,
and you ask yourself, 'How could she let him come to dinner like that?'
But you may be seeing the tip of a 20-year struggle. She's reached the
point where she says, If he wants to embarrass himself, it's not my
problem.'"

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/09/04/love_isnt_blind/