[Mb-civic] another view

NPDLP at aol.com NPDLP at aol.com
Tue Sep 6 07:48:25 PDT 2005

Hi, M....I agree with some of yours and some of this...I do think welfare  is
terribly abused, but I feel so sorry for these poor folks. Good to  listen to
all sides, I believe. xoxo Oneita

Subject: An Unnatural Disaster: A Hurricane Exposes the Man-Made  Disaster

An Objectivist Review

An Unnatural Disaster: A  Hurricane Exposes the Man-Made Disaster of the
Welfare State
by Robert  Tracinski

It has taken four long days for state and federal officials  to figure
out how to deal with the disaster in New Orleans. I can't blame  them,
because it has also taken me four long days to figure out what is  going
on there. The reason is that the events there make no sense if you
think that we are confronting a natural disaster.

If this is just a  natural disaster, the response for public officials
is obvious: you bring in  food, water, and doctors; you send
transportation to evacuate refugees to  temporary shelters; you send
engineers to stop the flooding and rebuild the  city's infrastructure.
For journalists, natural disasters also have a  familiar pattern: the
heroism of ordinary people pulling together to  survive; the hard work
and dedication of doctors, nurses, and rescue  workers; the steps being
taken to clean up and rebuild.

Public  officials did not expect that the first thing they would have to
do is to  send thousands of armed troops in armored vehicle, as if they
are  suppressing an enemy insurgency. And journalists--myself
included--did not  expect that the story would not be about rain, wind,
and flooding, but about  rape, murder, and looting.

But this is not a natural disaster. It is a  man-made disaster.

The man-made disaster is not an inadequate or  incompetent response by
federal relief agencies, and it was not directly  caused by Hurricane
Katrina. This is where just about every newspaper and  television
channel has gotten the story wrong.

The man-made disaster  we are now witnessing in New Orleans did not
happen over the past four days.  It happened over the past four decades.
Hurricane Katrina merely exposed it  to public view.

The man-made disaster is the welfare state.

For  the past few days, I have found the news from New Orleans to be
confusing.  People were not behaving as you would expect them to behave
in an  emergency--indeed, they were not behaving as they have behaved in
other  emergencies. That is what has shocked so many people: they have
been saying  that this is not what we expect from America. In fact, it
is not even what  we expect from a Third World country.

When confronted with a disaster,  people usually rise to the occasion.
They work together to rescue people in  danger, and they spontaneously
organize to keep order and solve problems.  This is especially true in
America. We are an enterprising people, used to  relying on our own
initiative rather than waiting around for the government  to take care
of us. I have seen this a hundred times, in small examples (a  small
town whose main traffic light had gone out, causing ordinary citizens
to get out of their cars and serve as impromptu traffic cops, directing
cars through the intersection) and large ones (the spontaneous response
of New Yorkers to September 11).

So what explains the chaos in New  Orleans?

To give you an idea of the magnitude of what is going on, here  is a
description from a Washington Times story:

"Storm victims are  raped and beaten; fights erupt with flying fists,
knives and guns; fires are  breaking out; corpses litter the streets;
and police and rescue helicopters  are repeatedly fired on.

"The plea from Mayor C. Ray Nagin came even as  National Guardsmen
poured in to restore order and stop the looting,  carjackings and
gunfire....

"Last night, Gov. Kathleen Babineaux  Blanco said 300 Iraq-hardened
Arkansas National Guard members were inside  New Orleans with
shoot-to-kill orders.

" 'These troops are...under my  orders to restore order in the streets,'
she said. 'They have M-16s, and  they are locked and loaded. These
troops know how to shoot and kill and they  are more than willing to do
so if necessary and I expect they will.'  "

The reference to Iraq is eerie. The photo that accompanies this article
shows National Guard troops, with rifles and armored vests, riding on
an  armored vehicle through trash-strewn streets lined by a rabble of
squalid,  listless people, one of whom appears to be yelling at them. It
looks exactly  like a scene from Sadr City in Baghdad.

What explains bands of thugs  using a natural disaster as an excuse for
an orgy of looting, armed robbery,  and rape? What causes unruly mobs to
storm the very buses that have arrived  to evacuate them, causing the
drivers to drive away, frightened for their  lives? What causes people
to attack the doctors trying to treat patients at  the Super Dome?

Why are people responding to natural destruction by  causing further
destruction? Why are they attacking the people who are  trying to help
them?

My wife, Sherri, figured it out first, and she  figured it out on a
sense-of-life level. While watching the coverage last  night on Fox News
Channel, she told me that she was getting a familiar  feeling. She
studied architecture at the Illinois Institute of Chicago,  which is
located in the South Side of Chicago just blocks away from the  Robert
Taylor Homes, one of the largest high-rise public housing projects in
America. "The projects," as they were known, were infamous for
uncontrollable crime and irremediable squalor. (They have since,
mercifully, been demolished.)

What Sherri was getting from last  night's television coverage was a
whiff of the sense of life of "the  projects." Then the "crawl"--the
informational phrases flashed at the bottom  of the screen on most news
channels--gave some vital statistics to confirm  this sense: 75% of the
residents of New Orleans had already evacuated before  the hurricane,
and of the 300,000 or so who remained, a large number were  from the
city's public housing projects. Jack Wakeland then gave me an
additional, crucial fact: early reports from CNN and Fox indicated that
the city had no plan for evacuating all of the prisoners in the city's
jails--so they just let many of them loose. There is no doubt a
significant overlap between these two populations--that is, a large
number of people in the jails used to live in the housing projects, and
vice versa.

There were many decent, innocent people trapped in New  Orleans when the
deluge hit--but they were trapped alongside large numbers  of people
from two groups: criminals--and wards of the welfare state, people
selected, over decades, for their lack of initiative and self-induced
helplessness. The welfare wards were a mass of sheep--on whom the
incompetent administration of New Orleans unleashed a pack of  wolves.

All of this is related, incidentally, to the apparent  incompetence of
the city government, which failed to plan for a total  evacuation of the
city, despite the knowledge that this might be necessary.  But in a city
corrupted by the welfare state, the job of city officials is  to ensure
the flow of handouts to welfare recipients and patronage to  political
supporters--not to ensure a lawful, orderly evacuation in case of
emergency.

No one has really reported this story, as far as I can  tell. In fact,
some are already actively distorting it, blaming President  Bush, for
example, for failing to personally ensure that the Mayor of New  Orleans
had drafted an adequate evacuation plan. The worst example is an
execrable piece from the Toronto Globe and Mail, by a supercilious
Canadian who blames the chaos on American "individualism." But the
truth  is precisely the opposite: the chaos was caused by a system that
was the  exact opposite of individualism.

What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the  psychological consequences of
the welfare state. What we consider "normal"  behavior in an emergency
is behavior that is normal for people who have  values and take the
responsibility to pursue and protect them. People with  values respond
to a disaster by fighting against it and doing whatever it  takes to
overcome the difficulties they face. They don't sit around and  complain
that the government hasn't taken care of them. They don't use the  chaos
of a disaster as an opportunity to prey on their fellow  men.

But what about criminals and welfare parasites? Do they worry about
saving their houses and property? They don't, because they don't own
anything. Do they worry about what is going to happen to their
businesses or how they are going to make a living? They never worried
about those things before. Do they worry about crime and looting? But
living off of stolen wealth is a way of life for them.

The welfare  state--and the brutish, uncivilized mentality it sustains
and encourages--is  the man-made disaster that explains the moral
ugliness that has swamped New  Orleans. And that is the story that no
one is reporting.

Source: TIA  Daily -- September 2, 2005