[Mb-civic] Katrina's Global Lessons

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 04:01:59 PDT 2005

Katrina's Global Lessons

By Jim Hoagland

Wednesday, September 7, 2005; Page A25

MOSCOW -- Hurricane Katrina has raked a vivid scar across America's
image abroad -- and left its marks on President Bush's ambitious foreign
policy agenda as well. Overcoming these setbacks will require a
demonstration that the United States under Bush is not an irrevocably
weakened and divided nation about to turn inward on its own problems.

The stories and images of lawlessness, refugees dying of deprivation or
mayhem, and the desperation of befouled human sanctuaries in New Orleans
have at times resembled dispatches from Darfur or Afghanistan. The
initial shock abroad comes not from the sights of such human misery but
from the fact that it occurred in the United States, which has always
been quick both to help and to lecture those swept up in natural and
man-made disasters in foreign lands.

The feet of clay of a nation that has regularly vaunted its standing as
the world's only remaining superpower have been in plain view in recent
days.

Here in the Russian capital and elsewhere abroad, the focus is shifting
quickly to take in political consequences as well as relief efforts.
European embassies in Washington are already reporting back to their
capitals on how the disaster may further impair Bush's effectiveness as
he slips toward lame-duck status. Diplomatic cables raise the key
question of which America will emerge from this harrowing test of
national resolve and compassion.

Will post-Katrina America be humbler, more cooperative and more
understanding of other nations' problems and failures? Or will the
United States let its active engagement in the world's human and
political crises become another casualty of Katrina's winds and
floodwaters -- and of the political turmoil they have triggered?

"I look at this and cannot believe my eyes," Russian President Vladimir
Putin said when I asked him Monday evening about Katrina's damage. "It
tells us however strong and powerful we think we are, we are nothing in
the eyes of nature and of God Almighty. . . . We are all vulnerable and
must cooperate to help each other."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/06/AR2005090601362.html