[Mb-civic] Dangerous Incompetence By Cindy Sheehan

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Sat Sep 3 19:38:54 PDT 2005

    Dangerous Incompetence
    By Cindy Sheehan
    t r u t h o u t | Perspective

    Saturday 03 September 2005

    George Bush has been an incompetent failure his entire life. Fortunately
for humanity, he was just partying his way through school, running companies
into the ground, and being an alcoholic and cocaine abuser for most of that
time - and his incompetence was limited to hurting the people who worked for
him and his own family. The people in his life who were hurt by his
incompetence probably have been able to "get on" with their lives. Now,
though, his incompetence affects the world and is responsible for so many
deaths and so much destruction. How many of us did not foresee the mess he
would make of the world when he was selected the first time? We saw what he
had done to Texas. How many of us marveled and were so discouraged and
amazed when he was "re-elected" the second time? We saw what he had done to
the world. Dangerous incompetence should never be rewarded, let alone be
rewarded so handsomely as in George's case.

    The Camp Casey movement has been struggling with how best we can help
the government-ravaged people of New Orleans and the surrounding areas. We
sent a busload of supplies into Covington, La., which is a poor,
African-American town across Lake Ponchartrain from New Orleans. I had the
privilege of visiting Covington with my friends, Buddy and Annie Spell last
July. It was a community filled with love and laughter.

    The Bring Them Home Now Tour bus that went into Covington is the
Veterans For Peace Impeachment Tour bus that I rode in and out of Crawford
on. They took about 10,000 pounds of leftover Camp Casey supplies and we had
2 trucks filled to the brim with leftover water from the camp to Covington.
The tour bus also has satellite, so it is the only communications that
Covington has with the outside world now.

    This is an email that our tour received from Gordon, who is one of the
bus drivers who bravely drove to Covington. I left it intact without
editing:

    I can't recommend coming here but, if you must, we do need help! During
the day we are going out into the community with water and baby supplies and
lunch foods. But, there has been an attack on the Armory and the cops are
scared. We have move into Covington middle school, and we are giving the red
cross our assistance with medical supplies and food services. Until we
arrived, they only had MRE's. They just brought in 5 new born babies from
the hospital as they are expecting more casualties. We brought in a
generator and solar powered lights, no power, no phone service here, our
satellite link is the only connection to the outside. The Marshal Law
enforcement that will be coming to New Orleans with the Army, could create
mass panic. That will lead to more refugees, we have twenty right now and
room for 100. Don't come here unless you're prepared to work!.

    I should say, stay out on the road and raise money for the relief
effort. But make up your own minds.

    We need to keep the public aware of what is going on here and all over
SOLA.

    If you want to help go an established refugee camp and provide your
internet access to document who is there and what they plan to do to the
website. Use your satellites access to maximize the story of the relief
effort!

    Gordon

    There it is.

    I think we should finish the tour so we can talk about what an abject
failure this administration is. The unnecessary tragedy in New Orleans is
directly related to the unnecessary tragedy in Iraq: Unnecessary being the
operative word.

    Innocent people are dying daily in this world. In the crush of the
hurricane story, the fact that 950 people (mostly women and children) were
trampled to death in Iraq was buried in the back sections. Those are 950
people who would still be alive if George Bush were not president. 950
people in Iraq and how many thousands in the Gulf States died while the
emperor strummed a guitar and knocked a golf ball around? Additionally,
eight of our brave and wonderful soldiers have been needlessly killed in
Iraq since Monday.

    I really believe that George and his band of incompetent and dangerous
thugs need to resign. It would be the only honorable and competent thing to
do. But wait....