[Mb-civic] Help for hurricane animals

Sierra Pecheur sierrapecheur at verizon.net
Thu Sep 1 16:02:45 PDT 2005

Help for hurricane animals
 info about relief efforts for the animals affected by Katrina.

Here is an terrific organization that deals exclusively with animal rescue during and after disasters.

"Noah's Wish is a not-for-profit, animal welfare organization, with a straightforward mission.  We exist to keep animals alive during disasters.  That's it"

http://noahswish.org/index.htm

The team is in Louisiana now and posting updates to the site as access permits.
  a.. Update: August 31, 2005 -  9:00 p.m. Louisiana Time

The Noah's Wish team reached Slidell, Louisiana today.  We have met with emergency management and animal control.  Tomorrow we will begin to provide assistance for animals in this devastated area.  Almost everyone we talked with this afternoon had a story to tell of an animal.  Unfortunately, many of the stories were of animals that were left behind when people had to evacuate.  People are getting desperate to find their animals.

Areas of Slidell are still underwater this evening and the devastation is widespread.  There is no electricity, gasoline, or phone service (landlines and cell).  In order to post this update I had to travel almost two hours back to Baton Rouge where I could get internet access.  Even here cell phone usage is impossible.  We truly feel cut off.  I will be driving back to Hammond tonight where our team is staying at the home of one of our Volunteers.

Tomorrow evening I will return to Baton Rouge with a much more detailed update and photographs.

Report Submitted By: Terri Crisp - Noah's Wish Director

.

  The Louisiana ASPCA sent 263 animals to Texas shelters before the storm hit.

   3 of the 4 VMAT teams have already been deployed, with VMAT-2 (the team not yet deployed) expecting to go out early next week.  VMAT is Vetrinary Medical Assistance Teams. You can read a little about them at www.vmat.org

  That's about all I've learned on the pet front so far.