[Mb-civic] 'Judicial Activism' to Be Thankful For - Colbert I. King - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Oct 29 07:26:02 PDT 2005

'Judicial Activism' to Be Thankful For

By Colbert I. King
Saturday, October 29, 2005; Page A23

The celebration of Rosa Parks's extraordinary contribution to America
presents an excellent opportunity for me to summon all the strength at
my command so that I may shout at the top of my lungs: "Thank God
Almighty for liberal judicial activism." I suppose this makes me a
heretic in a town where radical right dogma reigns supreme, especially
after the trashing of White House counsel and now-withdrawn Supreme
Court nominee Harriet Miers. But I'll still pay tribute to activist
judges. After all, it was a default by elected leaders that led an
"activist" Supreme Court to decide in 1956 that it was unconstitutional
to require that Rosa Parks and other black passengers in Montgomery,
Ala., sit at the back of buses solely because of their race.

This celebration of Parks's life is also a chance to set the record
straight. The culprits in Parks's case weren't limited to the white bus
driver who told her to give up her seat to a white man or the white
police officer who arrested her. The folks who really degraded Parks and
other black bus riders were the Alabamans who put and kept Jim Crow laws
on the books. Had it been left up to them, the arrests of Rosa Parks and
other African Americans would have continued. And of course we can't
leave out Alabama's white majority, which either liked or was
indifferent to segregation.

When the Montgomery Improvement Association, led by a 26-year-old
preacher, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., tried to negotiate a bus
desegregation plan with the city commission and the bus company, all it
got in return was resistance -- oh, yes, and a stick of dynamite thrown
into King's home. Thus the lawsuit.

Alabama argued then, as do conservatives today, that courts have no
business second- guessing decisions of states and cities that are acting
within their own laws. But the Supreme Court, looking at the
Constitution, saw something else. True, there was not one word in the
Constitution about the operation of bus companies or the seating of
passengers. But "activist" high court justices, bless their souls,
examining the due process and equal protection clauses of the 14th
Amendment, found violations of the rights of black passengers that
Alabama was either too blind or too unrepentant to see.

It wasn't the first time.

The year before Rosa Parks took her stand by keeping her seat, the
Supreme Court reviewed the legal precedent established decades earlier
in Plessy v. Ferguson, which blessed the "separate but equal" doctrine.
Settled law though Plessy may have been, the "liberal" Supreme Court
under Chief Justice Earl Warren ruled in Brown v. Board of Education
that school segregation "solely on the basis of race" violated the equal
protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

Make no mistake: It was within the power of state legislatures and
Congress to put a halt to racial discrimination in public education. Had
they wanted to or had they been commanded by a popular majority to bring
about equal access to educational opportunity, legislators could have
done so. Instead they allowed that abomination called Plessy to stand,
leaving it up to nonviolent protests and judicial tests to challenge
racial discrimination in public education.

So on the occasion of Rosa Parks's death, I also pay tribute to
"activist" justices such as Warren, William O. Douglas, William Brennan
and Thurgood Marshall, NAACP lawyer and later a justice. They are and
will always be among my heroes.

(I'll pause here to allow my conservative colleagues to get hold of
themselves.)

To continue . Were it not for "liberal, activist" courts, who knows how
long it would have been before:

Rosa Parks could have sat anywhere she wanted on a bus?

Miscegenation laws would have been invalidated?

...continued at:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/28/AR2005102801812.html