[Mb-civic] It Is Better To Light A Candle

Jim Burns jameshburns at webtv.net
Tue Oct 25 23:20:49 PDT 2005

There are vigils planned, for Wednesday evening, at 6:30, to mark the
passing of our 2000th citizen, in Iraq...

Many of us won't be able to make it...

But I'm reminded of what a  friend sent me, after 9/11.  One night--was
it that Friday?--Americans were urged to light a candle, on their front
step.

It's pointless to compare the character, or magnitude, of different
tragedies.

To me, 9/11 was an unprecedented assault that still hasn't been properly
resonded to.

And, to the disagreement of many of you, I believe in the use of
military force--at least as a final resort.

But the incompetence with which this administration has put my
neighbors' sons and daughters in harms' way, with a strategy based on
mendacity, has--

What was that phrase J.F.K. sometimes invoked?

'Given me thoughts, too deep for tears.

And I like what Mike told me about, four years ago.

So, just a thought...

Those of you with access...

Perhaps, later today, at 6:30, light a candle, on
your stoop, or windowsill...

Jim Burns