[Mb-civic] The new Patriot Act is about to become law, count on it being used against immigrants, dissidents and many ordinary Americans

Barbara Siomos barbarasiomos38 at msn.com
Fri Oct 21 15:30:31 PDT 2005

Dear EmailNation Subscriber,

After a campaign of deception, the new Patriot Act is about to become law And, as Chip Pitts writes, we can count on it being used against immigrants, dissidents and many ordinary Americans accused of crimes completely unrelated to terrorism.
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051107/pitts

The Iraq War, like the Patriot Act, was mendaciously sold to the American public as necessary to help protect the US from terrorist threats. But, as many are coming to finally see, the war is only making our country less safe.

Watch former UN weapons inspector and author Scott Ritter and celebrated investigative reporter Seymour Hersh this Sunday on CSPAN2 sound off on this theme and explore how we can get out of Iraq. CSPAN2's broadcast of this recent Nation Books event will be broadcast twice this Sunday, October 23--at both 4:30pm and 10:30pm eastern time.

And click below for info on Ritter's new book, just released by NB.
http://www.nationbooks.org/book.mhtml?t=ritter

Hersh is just one of the many legendary journalists included in Nation writer John Friedman's new anthology, The Secret Histories, just released by Picador. Friedman's book is a groundbreaking collection of the documents that have clarified history. From Edwin Black's investigation into the strategic alliance between IBM and the Nazi regime to I. F. Stone's classic study of the hidden history of the Korean War, from the 1952 Reader's Digest expose of tobacco's link to cancer and heart disease to Seymour Hersh's report on the My Lai massacre (as well his expos on the abuse in Abu Ghraib prison), this is the perfect anthology for those seeking to revisit--or discover for the first time--the news stories that have shaped our understanding of the world. Click below for more info and to order copies online. http://www.picadorusa.com/product/product.aspx?isbn=0312425171

Friedman is also moderating a panel with Morley Safer, Philip Gourevitch and Mark Danner next Wednesday, October 26 at 6:30 PM, Cooper Union, in Manhattan in an event co-sponsored by The Nation.

The event is free and takes place at Cooper Union--Wollman Auditorium, 51 Astor Place, NYC. Click below for info on the rest of Friedman's tour schedule which takes him to Washington, DC, New Haven, Boston and Austin, TX.
http://www.picadorusa.com/tours/tours.aspx

Don't miss other new Nation online exclusives.

Peter Rothberg offers ways to help the tens of thousands of victims of the earthquake in Pakistan. http://www.thenation.com/blogs/actnow?bid=4&pid=30448

Kelly Hearn looks at the role the NRA is playing in Brazilian gun politics.
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051107/hearn

Katrina vanden Heuvel hails the California Safe Cosmetics Bill.
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/edcut?bid=7&pid=30352

David Corn looks at the question of whether President Bush knew about the CIA leak cover-up. http://www.thenation.com/blogs/capitalgames?bid=3&pid=29782

John Nichols says it's about time that the vice president and his aides are widely known as likely suspects in moves to leak a CIA agent's name.
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat?bid=1&pid=29442

Robert Scheer argues that the NY Times is on a misguided and unethical campaign to make a terrible reporter a First Amendment saint.
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051031/scheer1018

Resolved: The Hollywood Reds Did More Harm Than Good--October 27, NYC
A free debate between Victor Navasky vs. Ronald Radosh on the Hollywood Ten and the contemporary lessons of McCarthyism. Moderated by WNYC's Leonard Lopate. At 6:30, Thursday, Oct. 27 at CUNY Graduate Center (365 Fifth Avenue, corner of 34th St.). Click below for further info.  http://www.thesmithfamilyfoundation.org/event.cfm

Finally, please visit http://www.thenation.com/ to post comments to Nation blogs, to view news-wire links updated twice each day, to see when Nation writers are appearing on TV, for info on nationwide activist campaigns, Nation History offerings, exclusive online reports, and special weekly selections from The Nation magazine--this week we're featuring pieces by Mike Davis and Anthony Fontenot, Marc Cooper and Gore Vidal, Eric Alterman and Stuart Klawans!

Best Regards,
Peter Rothberg, The Nation

P.S. If you appreciate what you read at TheNation.com, please consider subscribing to The Nation at a sharply discounted rate. It's the only way to read ALL of what's in the magazine week after week--both in print and online. http://www.thenation.com/ensubscribe