[Mb-civic] They are finally nailing Cheney

Barbara Siomos barbarasiomos38 at msn.com
Tue Oct 18 20:22:49 PDT 2005

Well, of course, the investigation of who leaked CIA agent Valerie Plame's name-- violating the federal law that bars the "outing" of intelligence operatives--has come around to Vice President Dick Cheney's office. While it may be news to the Washington Post, as John Nichols writes, the fact is that Cheney and his aides have been likely suspects from day one. Click below for more.
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat?bid=1&pid=29442

And check out David Corn's report on Judith Miller, the New York Times and the CIA leak. http://www.thenation.com/blogs/capitalgames?bid=3&pid=29143

It's also worth reading RawStory's new related report by Larisa Alexandrovna and Jason Leopold. http://rawstory.com/

And don't miss other new Nation online exclusives.

Katrina vanden Heuvel visits Johnny Depp's (and her husband's) hometown of Owensboro, Kentucky. http://www.thenation.com/blogs/edcut?bid=7&pid=29322

Nicholas von Hoffman shows why Delphi's bankruptcy is a marker of a new America in which workers stand alone. http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051031/vonhoffman

**********SPONSORED MESSAGE**********

INSPIRATION ON EVERY PAGE

>From mobile phone pioneers in Bangladesh to organic and local food in your kitchen, every issue of Ode Magazine is filled with positive people and their ideas to help save the world.  Find out why Ode has been described as "essential reading," "a way of life," and "a voice of reason, light, and decency." Inspire yourself with this big, colorful magazine that will enhance your perspective  read Ode to change (y)our world.  Get 6 issues of Ode now at:
http://www.odemagazine.net/landing.html?source=theNation1-DG.

**********SPONSORED MESSAGE**********

Seymour Hersh and Scott Ritter--October 19, NYC
Check out a Nation Books event, TOMORROW, exploring how we got into Iraq and how we can get out featuring former UN arms inspector and author Scott Ritter and legendary investigative reporter Seymour Hersh. It'll take place as a free public event in New York City, and will be broadcast nationally by CSPAN shortly after the event takes place. On October 19, 7:00 to 8:30 PM at the New York Society for Ethical Culture, 2 West 64th St, Central Park West, NYC. A book sale and signing will follow the event. Doors open at 6:00. No reservations. Seating is first-come, first-served. Watch this space and the Nation Books site (http://www.nationbooks.org) for info on the TV broadcast.

Understanding the Aims of the Theocratic Right--October 21/22, NYC
The religious right is more powerful than ever. Yet few people outside the Bible Belt understand the movement's deeper aims and objectives. This pioneering seminar will explore  the ways in which the Christian right is currently informing US policy, both at home and overseas. Featuring Nation writers Chris Hedges and Esther Kaplan along with Chip Berlet and Frederick Clarkson. Staged by the Open Center in NYC at the CUNY Graduate Center on October 21 and 22. Co-sponsored by The Nation. Click below for information or call 212-219-2527. http://mail.opencenter.org/webdev/index.php#pt=programs&se=05FEC58TZI

Victor Navasky vs. Ronald Radosh--October 27, NYC
A free debate on the Hollywood Ten and the contemporary lessons of McCarthyism. Moderated by WNYC's Leonard Lopate. At 6:30, Thursday, Oct. 27 at CUNY Graduate Center. Click below for further info. http://www.thesmithfamilyfoundation.org/event.cfm

Finally, please visit http://www.thenation.com/ to post comments to Nation blogs, to view news-wire links updated twice each day, to see when Nation writers are appearing on TV, for info on nationwide activist campaigns, Nation History offerings, exclusive online reports, and special weekly selections from The Nation magazine--this week we're featuring pieces by Ruth Conniff, Marc Cooper, William Greider, Katha Pollitt and Eric Foner!

Best Regards,
Peter Rothberg, The Nation

P.S. If you appreciate what you read at TheNation.com, please consider subscribing to The Nation at a sharply discounted rate. It's the only way to read ALL of what's in the magazine week after week--both in print and online. http://www.thenation.com/ensubscribe