[Mb-civic] America's response to avian flu - Edward M. Kennedy - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Oct 16 06:55:27 PDT 2005

America's response to avian flu

By Edward M. Kennedy  |  October 16, 2005

THE RACE against time by the people of the Gulf Coast to save themselves
from Hurricane Katrina is a tragic episode in our recent history. We
watched as fellow citizens unable to escape in time cried out
desperately for help as the storm hit and the flood waters overwhelmed
the city. The indelible images of the sick and elderly succumbing to the
flood, families torn apart by evacuations, and citizens trapped without
food or basic sanitation are powerful reminders that our preparation and
response was much too little and too late.

The outbreak of avian flu in Asia and its recent spread to Europe
signals another race against time. We have a chance to protect ourselves
before time runs out. The disease has affected relatively few people so
far, since human-to-human transmission is rare. But one out of every two
people infected dies, and experts warn that a large-scale pandemic could
occur at any time as the virus improves its capability to attack humans.

In 1918, we saw how pandemic flu could cripple our nation. As the
Spanish flu swept across the nation, half a million Americans died.
Entire cities and even our military were brought to a standstill by the
invisible, alarmingly efficient killer, and researchers have found
striking similarities between the virus of 1918 and the virus currently
affecting Asia. As other nations move ahead to prevent a potentially
devastating flu pandemic, we are falling dangerously behind.

Last winter, just as they were unprepared for Katrina, the
administration did not have a backup plan when a plant making nearly
half of the nation's flu vaccine supply shut down. Now they still don't
have a plan to prepare for a pandemic flu. Other nations have long
recognized the urgency of such planning. Japan issued its plan in 1997.
Canada, Britain, and Australia each announced their plan over a year
ago. They're putting their plans into action right now, while we're
waiting to read ours for the first time. America deserves better.
Massachusetts issued its first plan for pandemic flu nearly four years
ago. Still, much remains to be done to protect against the flu that
requires national guidance -- a finalized federal plan is critical to
our efforts.

We also don't have enough antiviral medicine to treat flu victims. The
World Health Organization has asked nations to put aside enough medicine
to treat 25 percent of their population as a stopgap until we develop an
effective vaccine. We have only enough to treat 2 percent of Americans,
while nations such as France, Germany, and the Netherlands acquired a
sufficient supply months ago. Current skyrocketing demand for flu
medicines means that it will take months or even years to build up an
adequate stockpile. We must start the process of acquiring such medicine
immediately.

...continued:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/10/16/americas_response_to_avian_flu/