[Mb-civic] A Decade Later, Marchers Look for More - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Oct 16 06:40:58 PDT 2005

A Decade Later, Marchers Look for More
Thousands of Blacks Gather on the Mall to Show Unity -- and Seek New
Inspiration

By Robert E. Pierre and Hamil R. Harris
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, October 16, 2005; Page A01

This time, a decade later, the people came not just to make a statement,
but to look for a little inspiration and guidance.

Aquil Malik brought a handful of teenagers from Newark, N.J., where he
is trying to keep them from descending into the life of violence that
landed him in prison for robbery and murder. "I came here to see what
other groups are doing," said Malik, a car salesman who finished serving
his term right after the Million Man March in 1995. "I need to take
something back home."
    Thousands of men, women and children gathered on the National Mall
for the Millions More Movement. Although the crowd was not as large as
the hundreds of thousands at the Million Man March a decade ago, leaders
said the success of the day could not be measured by numbers.

The Rev. George Allen Jr. of Charlotte came to yesterday's event, known
as the Millions More Movement, looking for a recharge. He said
prostitutes nearly took over his neighborhood before he began knocking
on the windows of their clients, catching them in the act. He got the
inspiration to do so from the Million Man March, becoming "an army of
one," he said. Now, "It's time for things to come together," said Allen,
saying he wanted less talk and more action.

On the Mall for the anniversary of the Million Man March, tens of
thousands of African Americans came seeking something -- a handshake, a
plan, a little encouragement -- to take home with them to help improve
their lives and lives in their communities. Recommendations they heard
from the dais included pooling their resources, buying from black
businesses, mentoring young people and organizing to pressure political
leaders.

Families sprawled on blankets and cardboard boxes and sat attentively as
dozens of speakers offered advice on how to organize to protest police
brutality and to oppose government policies that keep many blacks poor
and out of work. Organizers and participants said the success of the
event depends on whether black people devote their money and their time
to promote lasting change.

"The measure of this day is not today," said Nation of Islam leader and
event organizer Louis Farrakhan, who called on people to donate money to
help spur change. "The measure of this day will be determined by what we
do tomorrow to create a movement, a real movement among our people."

Al Sharpton underscored that theme, saying that the 1963 March on
Washington, at which the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his "I
Have a Dream" speech, should be used as a guide. After the Million Man
March, voter registration and volunteerism rose but no lasting movement
evolved, leaders acknowledged.

"What made the 1963 march is that we passed the 1964 civil rights
bills," Sharpton said. "The success of this march will be that we take
charge of our communities and make a difference in the [2006] elections."

The 1995 gathering was billed as being for men, although women spoke
from the dais and were sprinkled throughout the crowd. But this time,
families attended and many groups of women came to the rally without
men. The 12-hour event ended with Farrakhan, who spoke about 80 minutes.
The Mall was mostly quiet, although the vendors' area was filled with
gospel and hip-hop music and people hawking their T-shirts, CDs and
other souvenirs.

The crowd appeared decidedly smaller than in 1995, when hundreds of
thousands showed up. Participants yesterday who also attended the 1995
event said they hoped to rekindle the spirit of the Million Man March.
But there was little of the back-slapping reunion feel of a decade ago,
or the constant focus on the number of attendees.

Farrakhan refused to speculate on how many people attended. But
authorities at the scene -- who spoke on the condition of anonymity
because they do not officially give crowd counts -- said they estimated
that about 100,000 people attended.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/15/AR2005101501588.html?nav=hcmodule