[Mb-civic] Miers Hit on Letters and the Law - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 06:07:13 PDT 2005

Miers Hit on Letters and the Law
Writings Both Personal and Official Have Critics Poking Fun

By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, October 15, 2005; Page A07

Supreme Court confirmation battles usually involve excavations of the
nominee's judicial opinions, legal briefs and decades-old government
memos. Harriet Miers is the first nominee to hit trouble because of
thank-you letters.

Miers's paper trail may be relatively short, but it makes plain that her
climb through Texas legal circles and into George W. Bush's inner circle
was aided by a penchant for cheerful personal notes. Years later, even
some of her supporters are cringing -- and her opponents are viciously
making merry -- at the public disclosure of this correspondence and
other writings from the 1990s.

Bush may have enjoyed being told by Miers in 1997, "You are the best
governor ever -- deserving of great respect." But in 2005 such fawning
remarks are contributing to suspicion among Bush's conservative allies
and others that she was selected more for personal loyalty than her
legal heft.

Combined with columns she wrote for an in-house publication while
president of the Texas Bar Association -- critics have called them
clumsily worded and empty of content -- Miers may be at risk of flunking
the writing portion of the Supreme Court confirmation test, according to
some opponents.

"The tipping point in Washington is when you go from being a subject of
caricature to the subject of laughter," said Bruce Fein, a Miers critic
who served in the Reagan administration's Justice Department and who
often speaks on constitutional law. "She's in danger of becoming the
subject of laughter."

Blogs are posting satirical Miers correspondence featuring made-up
grammatical errors. Via e-mail, authentic Miers quotations have raced
around the country, prefaced by derisive comments about her qualifications.

One example, from a May 1996 letter asking George and Laura Bush to
appear at a ceremony honoring her, displayed both an obsequious tone and
a tortuous prose style. "I am respectful of both of your great many time
commitments and I realize you receive many, many requests," she wrote.
"Of course, I would be very pleased if either of you is able to
participate. However, I will be pleased with your judgment about whether
participating in this event fits your schedule whatever your decision. .
. . I feel honored even to be able to extend this invitation to such
extraordinary people."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/14/AR2005101401979.html