[Mb-civic] Sign the petition for a permanent regulation to prevent heat deaths!

Barbara Siomos barbarasiomos38 at msn.com
Fri Oct 14 16:35:31 PDT 2005

Dear Friend,

I thought you might be interested in this United Farm Workers
e-activism campaign.

Thousands helped the UFW prevent further tragedies in the fields
when six farm workers died due to extreme heat since July 28,
2004. Four of these needless deaths came during a three-week
period this past July. Some deaths occurred after growers or
farm labor contractors ordered work speed ups when temperatures
soared above 100 degrees. The United Farm Workers asked Gov.
Arnold Schwarzenegger to issue an emergency regulation to
prevent future tragedies.

With your help, California government stepped up to the plate
and issued an temporary emergency heat regulation. We commend
the Schwarzenegger administration for acting when three previous
governors did not. However, the emergency heat regulation is
temporary and only lasts 120 days. It is set to expire on Dec.
21, 2005.

Help make the heat illness regulation permanent. Please sign our
online petition calling on Cal-OSHA, the state work safety
agency, adopt a permanent rule and urging vigorous enforcement
of the new protections for workers. By signing the petition you
will also send an fax to OSHA. Tell Cal-OSHA to ensure that more
farm workers don't needlessly die or suffer when temperatures in
the fields soar during the hot summer harvest period.

Please tell the state to act once again. We do not want to
endure another summer of carnage in California agriculture. Go
to:

http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/heatdeathpetition?rk=Q7AhqB61qcWgW

Click on the link below for more information
from your union, online activism and benefits.
http://www.unionvoice.org/