[Mb-civic] A Supreme Moment of Ambiguity - Ruth Marcus - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Oct 13 04:09:25 PDT 2005

A Supreme Moment of Ambiguity

By Ruth Marcus
Thursday, October 13, 2005; Page A23

"Mom, how many women presidents have there been?" My older daughter,
then 5 and maneuvering to delay bedtime, popped this question during the
2000 campaign. I loved the innocent confidence of its premise; I
remember, in the moment before I answered, the stab of regret that I was
about to erode her post-feminist certitude.

I've been thinking about that conversation recently, first with the
debut of the TV series "Commander in Chief," featuring Geena Davis as
the first female president, and again with the Supreme Court nomination
of Harriet Miers. Together the two events capture the uncertain position
of women in public life today. This is an odd, transitional moment in
which it is conceivable that a woman could become president despite her
gender and evident that a woman was selected for the high court largely
because of it. Neither situation is especially satisfying.

I found it off-putting, offensive almost, when I first heard about
"Commander in Chief." It seemed likely to be a bit too Mr. Ed-ish -- a
woman president! A talking horse! There are, indeed, some clunky
can-you-believe-this-role-reversal moments, particularly involving the
(giggle, giggle) First Man. Ewww, a pink office .

It's worth noting, too, that Davis is the Accidental President, thrust
into the role when the real president dies. Maybe even in liberal
Hollywood it's too much to envision a woman actually being elected to
the job. And perhaps Davis, even with Those Lips, might be a little more
believable as commander in chief if we hadn't last seen her talking to a
mouse. Stuart Little, female president -- whatever.

But the show is growing on me, especially the matter-of-fact way Davis
dispenses with the immutable twin facts that she is a woman and a
mother. She assumes there will be discomfort about her gender but
doesn't dwell on it; she treats her motherhood as a role to be braided
into the rest of her newly complex life, not something to hide or
apologize over.

After a briefing on her color-coded schedule, the president instructs
her chief of staff to add a new hue -- this one blocking out time for
family dinner. What working mother doesn't identify with the scene in
which the new president, rewriting her speech in the limousine on her
way to address her first joint session of Congress, has to cope with
questions from her young daughter ("Mommy, did you get timeouts when you
were little?") and a juice-box spill on the presidential blouse?

If "Commander in Chief" points the way, however faintly, toward the
moment when a woman in the presidency will be the routine matter my
daughter imagined it to be, the Miers nomination is, I think, an
unfortunate step in the opposite direction. The idea of a female Supreme
Court justice, unlike the idea of a female president, is no longer a
novelty. No one, left or right, was balking at the notion of picking a
woman for this vacancy; indeed, I think most people would have preferred it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/12/AR2005101201565.html?nav=hcmodule