[Mb-civic] DeLay's Lawyers Subpoena His Prosecutor - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Oct 12 04:16:10 PDT 2005

DeLay's Lawyers Subpoena His Prosecutor

By LARRY MARGASAK
The Associated Press
Tuesday, October 11, 2005; 11:17 PM

WASHINGTON -- Indicted Rep. Tom DeLay's attorneys turned the tables on a
Texas prosecutor Tuesday, delivering a subpoena to compel his testimony
about his conduct with grand jurors.

Defense attorney Dick DeGuerin, who contends there was misconduct by
prosecutors, said Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle refused
the subpoena at his Austin office when he declined to sign a paper
acknowledging its delivery. Earle said he had voluntarily accepted the
subpoena.

The subpoena is part of the defense tactic to have charges dismissed
before trial against DeLay, R-Texas, who was obligated to temporarily
step aside as House majority leader when charged with conspiracy and
money laundering in a state campaign finance investigation. DeLay has
denied any wrongdoing.

DeGuerin wants Earle and two of his assistants to testify, alleging
prosecutors had improper contact with two grand juries that indicted
DeLay and one that refused to file charges.

DeGuerin said he would have Earle's subpoena redelivered Wednesday.
Earle responded that it wasn't necessary.

"It was not a properly prepared subpoena but we accepted service
voluntarily anyway," the prosecutor said.

DeGuerin also asked that grand jurors be released from their secrecy
oath so they could answer questions about the prosecutor's conduct.

Earle's office said in a written statement, "Because of laws protecting
grand jury secrecy, there are limitations to what we can say at this
time, but we fully expect to prevail in this matter."

DeGuerin wants Earle to answer 12 questions about conversations he had
with grand jurors, including whether the prosecutor became angry when a
grand jury decided against an indictment of DeLay and why that decision
was not publicly released.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/11/AR2005101101327.html