[Mb-civic] Decoding Miers - Richard Cohen - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Oct 11 04:15:24 PDT 2005

Decoding Miers

By Richard Cohen
Tuesday, October 11, 2005; Page A17

Back in the civil rights era, a transplanted New Yorker living in North
Carolina named Harry Golden published an odd newspaper called the
Carolina Israelite. With the keen eye of an outsider, he noticed that
while whites would not sit down with blacks at lunch counters and other
places, they would stand with them in bank lines or supermarkets. So
Golden concocted the "vertical integration plan," which mocked racial
segregation and which, to my surprise, is apparently known to George W.
Bush. He has adopted it to discuss abortion.

You think I jest, but I do not. A careful reading of the White House
transcript from the president's recent news conference strongly suggests
that Bush will not discuss abortion while sitting down, but might while
standing up. Let's go to what Bush said when he was asked whether, over
the course of his long friendship with Harriet Miers, he had ever
discussed abortion with her: "Not to my recollection have I ever sat
down with her."

Miers, of course, has been the White House counsel and a longtime member
of Bush's legal team -- both in Washington and, before that, in Austin.
She was the one who helped him vet judicial appointments, including the
most recent and momentous of them, the elevation of John Roberts from
federal appellate judge to chief justice of the United States. It is
impossible to believe that Roberts and others were discussed without
either Bush or Miers mentioning abortion. They must have stood the
entire time.

There is, however, another possibility: code. It's conceivable that Bush
and Miers developed a secret language for talking about abortion. For
instance, when vetting judicial appointees, Bush might have asked, "Is
he pro-banana or anti-banana?" Miers would then look around, point to
the walls (which have ears even in the White House) and say,
"anti-banana." Then she would take another file from the pile marked
"anti-banana" and recommend that person to the bench. Bush, knowing the
code, might then ask, "Where does he stand on late-term bananas," or
"bananas on demand?" or something really clever like that. Maybe this
code was developed by George Tenet, late of the CIA and the recipient of
a presidential medal for getting nearly everything wrong about Iraq. The
CIA knows some dandy codes.

The clever use of code words or the ability to stand for a long time
while discussing abortion might seem far-fetched, but there is no other
way to explain the assurances that the very important James C. Dobson
has offered his fellow conservative Christians regarding Miers. "When
you know some of the things that I know -- that I probably shouldn't
know -- you will understand why I have said, with fear and trepidation,
that Harriet Miers will be a good justice," he told his radio listeners.
Then, referring to aborted fetuses, he added, "If I have made a mistake
here, I will never forget the blood of those babies that will die will
be on my hands to some degree." So said the founder of Focus on the
Family about a Supreme Court nominee who has none at all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/10/AR2005101001225.html?nav=hcmodule