[Mb-civic] Iraqis' Broken Dreams - Jackson Diehl - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 07:32:18 PDT 2005

Iraqis' Broken Dreams

By Jackson Diehl
Monday, October 10, 2005; Page A19

Three years ago Kanan Makiya and Rend Rahim were among the most
persuasive advocates of a U.S. invasion of Iraq. Both liberal Iraqi
intellectuals and eloquent English speakers, they made the case that
Saddam Hussein's removal was a cause to be embraced on moral and human
rights grounds, and that its result could be the replacement of the Arab
world's most brutal dictatorship by its first genuine democracy.

They were widely heard in Washington. Once, over dinner, I watched as
they argued passionately to a senior administration official -- one of
the architects of the then-approaching war -- that the Bush
administration should stop focusing on Hussein's supposed weapons of
mass destruction and openly justify intervention on grounds of democracy
and human rights. The official was clearly moved, but demurred. Iraq's
WMD, he replied, was the single motivating factor that united the
administration's own factions and constituencies.

I found the two compelling. They reminded me of Central European
dissidents, such as Adam Michnik and Vaclav Havel, who challenged Soviet
totalitarianism on the same grounds -- and who, that fall of 2002, also
chose to endorse intervention in Iraq. We all knew Iraq would be
different and more difficult than Poland or Czechoslovakia. But Makiya
and Rahim, among other liberal Iraqis, nurtured the dream that there,
too, a democracy could arise out of the rubble of dictatorship.

That's why it was so sobering to encounter Makiya and Rahim again last
week -- and to hear them speak with brutal honesty about their "dashed
hopes and broken dreams," as Makiya put it. The occasion was a
conference on Iraq sponsored by the conservative American Enterprise
Institute, which did so much to lay the intellectual groundwork for the
war. A similar AEI conference three years ago this month resounded with
upbeat predictions about the democratic, federal and liberal Iraq that
could follow Saddam Hussein. This one, led off by Makiya and Rahim,
sounded a lot like its funeral.

Makiya began with a stark conclusion: "Instead of the fledgling
democracy that back then we said was possible, instead of that dream, we
have the reality of a virulent insurgency whose efficiency is only
rivaled by the barbarous tactics it uses." The violence, he said, "is
destroying the very idea or the very possibility of Iraq."

The Iraqi liberals can fairly blame the Bush administration for not
listening to them: for failing to deploy enough troops, for refusing to
quickly install the provisional government they advocated, for rejecting
the Iraqi fighters they offered to help impose order immediately after
the invasion. But Makiya, a former adviser to the Iraqi government in
exile who now heads the Iraq Memory Foundation, instead scrupulously
dissected "our Iraqi failures." Chief among these, he said, was an
underestimation of the rootedness of Hussein's Baath Party inside Iraq's
Sunni community and its latent ability to mobilize the insurgency that
has bedeviled reconstruction while dividing the country along ethnic and
religious lines.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/09/AR2005100900496.html