[Mb-civic] The FOG factor - Ellen Goodman - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 04:03:41 PDT 2005

The FOG factor

By Ellen Goodman  |  October 7, 2005

I ONCE had a neighbor in Maine who operated a divining rod with a fine
hand. If you were looking for water, he was the go-to guy with a better
track record than the well-digger.

Where is Martin when you need him? Every since the president picked his
own counsel for the Supreme Court, people have been trying to divine
where Harriet Miers stands.

The one thing we know for sure is that the Texan is a certified FOG,
Friend of George. In this case, the acronym is all too apt.

In the last days, she's been described as the president's ''work wife,"
''pit bull," ''fixer," and ''a capable indentured servant of the Bush
family." The word that has now attached itself to her hem is ''crony."
As one Republican strategist griped to Slate, the choice was ''crony or
wing nut? Crony or wing nut? OK, this time we'll go with the crony."

It's progress of a sort when a woman can be called a ''crony." It's
better than being called a crone. But I am reminded of what Ruth Bader
Ginsburg said last week when asked whether she wanted another woman on
the bench. Yes, she said, but ''any woman will not do. . . . Some women
who might be appointed who would not advance human rights or women's
rights."

My own internal divining rod is twitching all over the terrain.

Twitch left: When the president introduced the woman who parks her red
Mercedes in the White House lot, he listed the string of ''firsts"
behind her name: first female hired and first to head her big time
Dallas law firm, first female to head the Dallas and Texas bar
associations. She has some shards from the glass ceiling in her
briefcase. Not a bad souvenir to take to the court.

Twitch right: The day after her announcement, her longtime companion,
Texas Supreme Court Judge Nathan Hecht, sought to assure conservatives.
Miers belongs and tithes to an antiabortion evangelical church and is
honestly, truly prolife. When the conservatives ''find out what this
president knows about Harriet," he said, ''they are going to be happy as
clams." Uh-oh.

Since there is no paper trail, the divining rod is drawn back and forth.
On the one hand, Rush Limbaugh is finding it ''hard to resist the pull
to be depressed over this." So why not feel elated? The folks at
Operation Rescue are foaming at the mouth. So the prochoice folks should
be breathing a sigh of relief. Conservatives like William Kristol find
this choice ''demoralizing," and liberal demonizers like Richard
Viguerie are ranting that the president ''blinked." The demonized should
be smiling.

On the other twitching hand, why did Jay Sekulow, the honcho of the
archconservative American Center for Law and Justice, call her ascension
a ''big opportunity"? What does James Dobson, the head of Focus on the
Family, know that we don't know: ''I have reason to believe she is prolife."

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/10/07/the_fog_factor/