[Mb-civic] Withdraw This Nominee - Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 03:51:53 PDT 2005

Withdraw This Nominee

By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, October 7, 2005; Page A23

When in 1962 Edward Moore Kennedy ran for his brother's seat in the
Senate, his opponent famously said that if Kennedy's name had been
Edward Moore, his candidacy would have been a joke. If Harriet Miers
were not a crony of the president of the United States, her nomination
to the Supreme Court would be a joke, as it would have occurred to no
one else to nominate her.

We've had quite enough dynastic politics over the past decades.
(Considering the trouble I have had with Benjamin and William Henry
Harrison, I pity the schoolchildren of the future who will have to
remember who was who in the Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton presidential
alternations from 1989 to 2017.) But nominating a constitutional tabula
rasa to sit on what is America's constitutional court is an exercise of
regal authority with the arbitrariness of a king giving his favorite
general a particularly plush dukedom. The only advance we've made since
then is that Supreme Court dukedoms are not hereditary.

It is particularly dismaying that this act should have been perpetrated
by the conservative party. For half a century, liberals have corrupted
the courts by turning them into an instrument of radical social change
on questions -- school prayer, abortion, busing, the death penalty --
that properly belong to the elected branches of government.
Conservatives have opposed this arrogation of the legislative role and
called for restoration of the purely interpretive role of the court. To
nominate someone whose adult life reveals no record of even
participation in debates about constitutional interpretation is an
insult to the institution and to that vision of the institution.

There are 1,084,504 lawyers in the United States. What distinguishes
Harriet Miers from any of them, other than her connection with the
president? To have selected her, when conservative jurisprudence has J.
Harvie Wilkinson, Michael Luttig, Michael McConnell and at least a dozen
others on a bench deeper than that of the New York Yankees, is scandalous.

It will be argued that this criticism is elitist. But this is not about
the Ivy League. The issue is not the venue of Miers's constitutional
scholarship, experience and engagement. The issue is their nonexistence.

Moreover, the Supreme Court is an elite institution. It is not one of
the "popular" branches of government. That is the reason Sen. Roman
Hruska achieved such unsought immortality when he declared, in support
of an undistinguished Nixon nominee to the court, that, yes, G. Harrold
Carswell is a mediocrity but mediocre Americans deserve representation
on the court as well.

To serve in Congress, or even as president, there is no requirement for
scholarship and brilliance. For good reason. It is not needed. It can
even be a hindrance, as we learned from our experience with Woodrow
Wilson, the most intellectually accomplished president of the 20th
century and also the worst.

But constitutional jurisprudence is different. It is, by definition, an
exercise of intellect steeped in scholarship. Otherwise it is nothing
but raw politics. And is it not the conservative complaint that liberals
have abused the courts by having them exercise raw super-legislative
power, the most egregious example of which is the court's most
intellectually bankrupt ruling, Roe v. Wade ?

Miers will surely shine in her Judiciary Committee hearings, but that is
because expectations have been set so low. If she can give a fairly good
facsimile of John Roberts's testimony, she'll be considered a
surprisingly good witness. But what does she bring to the bench?

This, say her advocates: We are now at war, and therefore the great
issue of our time is the powers of the president, under Article II, to
wage war. For four years Miers has been immersed in war-and-peace
decisions and therefore will have a deep familiarity with the tough
constitutional issues regarding detention, prisoner treatment and war
powers.

Perhaps. We have no idea what her role in these decisions was. But to
the extent that there was any role, it becomes a liability. For years --
crucial years in the war on terrorism -- she will have to recuse herself
from judging the constitutionality of these decisions because she will
have been a party to having made them in the first place. The Supreme
Court will be left with an absent chair on precisely the laws-of-war
issues to which she is supposed to bring so much.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/06/AR2005100601468.html